HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Notified the Game warden (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/83587-notified-game-warden.html)

Criggster 12-22-2004 09:02 AM

Notified the Game warden

I called the wildlife violations hotline today. Here's the story. This year we saw a guy (sometimes his wife hunts with him) hunting an adjoining property to my neighbor's. He is hunting on about 25 acres; bordered by a road and a house along one side and my neighbor's fence on the other side. He has hunted here for years, but recently lost permission to hunt the other property across the road because it was sold.

We heard a quite a bit of shooting there this year and he hunted it HARD. He was there almost every day during the archery season, and most of the firearms season. He certainly doesn't work or he would not be there that much. He told my other neighbor on the middle of our 2 week rifle season that he had killed 4 deer. The limit here is 5 per season. He continued to hunt the rest of the season and we heard some other shots in the vicinity he was hunting. My neighbor has seen him there on several Sundays which are a no hunting day here. And, he's back again to hunt the late muzzleloading season.

Anyway, I walked through the property to see what was going on, and saw a spot that appeared to be torn-up due to deer pawing the ground. He is probably feeding them which is again against the law here. But, the real kicker was that he had a ground blind 15 feet from my neighbors fence and pointed towards the fence!!![:@] It is about 20 yards under the ridge line. I know he had to be shooting across the fence!!! And, thirty yards down the fenceline was a tree stand!![:@] It was pointed towards the fence!!!!

I called the game warden and reported it. I hope he finds him and nails his butt. We are trying to practice QDM on our lands and this jerk is shooting deer across the fence!!!!

UncleNorby 12-22-2004 10:21 AM

RE: Notified the Game warden

The guy may be a jerk, but nothing you have said indicates he has broken any laws, except maybe Sunday hunting. Hopefully the warden will be looking for him on a Sunday.

cardeer 12-22-2004 10:50 AM

It is hard to mini manage a small property. Keep us posted what happens

bob d 12-22-2004 03:23 PM

he may well be a jerk and doing something illegal but why are you walking through his property

Criggster 12-22-2004 04:39 PM

Uncle Norby, he has broken two laws. It against the law to bait in Virginia, if you hunt over it. Second, he has been shooting deer across the fence on my neighbors posted property! How would you feel if someone shot deer across your fence??

I don't think he has been hunting on Sunday, but he probably has been taking more bait to the deer on that day. We are managing about 300 acres on our side of the fence, and all so that this jerk can shoot the smaller bucks across the fence!![:@]

BTW, I did not have to walk on their side of the fence to see this. It is within 15 feet of the fence.

bob d 12-22-2004 05:17 PM

no offense but you seem to have a case of the sour grapes you never saw any bait maybe you saw a scrape?????? you don't know if he is taken any deer over his limit .leave it be now and let game warden check it out

killer243 12-22-2004 05:46 PM

bob is right you don't know for sure if he has done anything against the law.

how high is the fence? i can't see him climbing over a high fence then throwing the deer over it if he shot it on your land, are their any signs on your land near the fence that may indicate something died their?

and if he was baiting why would he turn his blind away from the pile?

Criggster 12-22-2004 07:00 PM

If you guys were to see the area, the blinds, the possible baiting site, and the treestand you would see what I mean. They are positioned towards the hollow and the brush where there is a trail going from the hollow directly under the treestand to the possible baiting site. There are no acorns or natural food sources anywhere in the area, so what else would they be pawing the ground for?? I have been hunting long enough to know that an area twenty feet be twenty feet pawed out is NOT a scrape!!!!!!!!

There is a place in the fence that has been propped up between the barbwire. It was NOT there when we hung the posted signs a week before the season opened. It is very obvious what he is doing once you see the site. My neighbor was the first to notice it, and he too believes he is breaking the law.

Hopefully, the game warden will catch him.

uncle matt 12-22-2004 07:21 PM

Hhmmmmmmm......................

Griggster, you clearly state......."Anyway I walked through the property to see what's going on...." Then when confronted by Bob D you say tou were on the neighbor's property, well, make up your mind (or story as it goes along) Dude. If you were on your neighbor's property then I would think from the "flavor" of your post that you would have "boasted", or, eh, I mean "posted" that you had the neighbors permission?

As for Sunday hunting, your neighbor says he saw him there on Sundays. Was he hunting, or just maybe scouting? (It seems that you have decided to make up your own story that he was probobly supplementing his bait piles then, right? Maybe you are just ass-suming?)

"He told my other neighbor in the middle of our 2 week rifle season that he had killed 4 deer. The limit here is 5 per season. He continued to hunt the rest of the season & 'we heard some shots in the vicinity he was hunting'" (How do you know he connected and got the 1 additional deer to bring his total up to 5? How do you know, for sure, it was even him doing the shooting? You said yourself that his wife used to hunt, how do you know it wasn't her out there? Not only those last days, but other days as well? Maybe it WAS him and he missed?

How do you know he doesn't have permission to go ahead and shoot across the fence? (Oh, go ahead and add that in now, I mean if it's good for your story at this time.)

Just because you have choosen to practice what YOU consider "QDM" on your (big 'ol) 300 acre doesn't mean squat as far as what he chooses to shoot on his iddy biddy piece of property. How do you know he has (is) shooting "smaller" bucks (than you elect to), all of a sudden the story changes.................. Maybe he has shot nothong but does. What disd the "neighbors" say about this?

I think that there might be a good chance that there is something drawing alot of the deer in the area to his little property that ticks you off cause regardless of your "QDM" efforts, the deer continue to frequent his place. Maybe standing corn or something like a good water source.

I have to wonder what the "neighbors" are saying about you. Maybe they are more in touch (and "aligned") with him than you.

If there is one thing about sour grapes, it is they always leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Maybe I'm a little off here, I mean just a little. but if I am........I hereby reserve the sole right and privledge to change my story as it goes along.

I think tissues are on sale at Wal-Mart.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

W@AIVER: The opinions expressed in this posting are those expressed by Uncle Matt and only Uncle Matt. The opinions expressed in this posting are not to meant to be reflections of persons other than those known here as Uncle Matt and only Uncle Matt. The opinions expressed here are not necessary shared by those who make this posting possible. It is merely the humble opinion of Uncle Matt and only Uncle Matt.

Criggster 12-23-2004 08:09 AM

First, you guys are defending a person that is most likely breaking the law!! He Absolutely does not have permission to shoot across the fence. I know, there are only four of us that hunt that property, that is ALL. There is no standing CORN or WATER at all on this other 25 acres!!! You did not see what I saw or you would NOT be defending this person as much.

Second, I was on my neighbors property that I have permission to be on when I saw this!! I am not trying to turn in an innocent person, but I don't want a possible poacher to roam free either. I posted this so that other people would see that this could be taking place on their hunting grounds. If he is hunting legally, most likely not, he has nothing to worry about. But, if he is not then he deserves his punishment!! Enough said!!!!