HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Help!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/83519-help.html)

eddie_v21 12-21-2004 05:08 PM

Help!!

This is the 3rd year ive hunted and still not brought a buck home yet.Im hunting areas ate up with with scrapes,rubs,plenty of sign,but i have yet to get a buck.I hunt from a tree stand,I dont squirm and Im quite,what gives?I hunt in the ridges and ive always found alot of sign in in little flat spots and funnels between small ridges.I cant seem to figure it out,I hunt long hours use a some tinks#69 occasionally,grunt from time to time,I just dont get it.

onebullet 12-21-2004 05:39 PM

RE: Help!!

keep trying, i went 5 yrs one time no luck the deer just werent there, where are you hunting at? what state?:)
i broke the streak of no deer one year and all i did different was wash with baking soda now its a superstition with me[8D] maybe i smelled bad[:'(][:@][:-]LOL

watch the wind direction

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-21-2004 05:41 PM

Do you use hunters shower soap, hunters detergents for your clothes, spray scent killer? It could be that the deer are winding you, or you may need to find a new way to your area.

I have a friend that I've been hunting with for 10yrs. When we first started hunting together he would see far less deer then me, and most of what he saw where out of archery range, and we hunted within 500yds of each other. He wouldn't use at the time anytype of scent killer spray, detergents, or shower soaps. These days he does, and he sees just as many deer as I do, matter of fact he got 2 deer this year.

Our approach to out area takes us about 30/40min walk...we can use a different route, but then we will kick the deer up, we take the longer route, and come in from behind them, while they are still browsing in the fields.

eddie_v21 12-21-2004 06:33 PM

yes i spray myself with scent killer.i have no problem with getting deer around me.thats not it.i see plenty of does(say i hunt 5 days a week ill see does 3 days)ive actually shot two this year and one each of the two previous seasons.the problem is i cant seem to get on the bucks although there is buck sign around all my stands.by the way onebullet im in lee county va.

DelcoJim 12-21-2004 06:36 PM

try finding the bedding areas, or just look to see where you jump deer
don't just throw up a stand near sign , try and figure out when they are putting the sign down, if they are doing it at night after you leave you may have to adjust your stand closer to where they spend the day,
if i had a choice i would try to set up near bedding areas in the morning to catch them coming from a food source, and in the evening hunt closer to the food source

onebullet 12-21-2004 08:44 PM

what about rattling? or maybe a buck decoy if legal there

treehunter 12-22-2004 09:00 AM

sometimes it is harder to figure out the deer than it is to hunt them. Maybe all the signs you see are being left at night so you will need to figure out where they are during the day. easier said than done sometimes