Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ML did it again!

Old 12-21-2004, 05:26 AM

Default ML did it again!

Actually, my dad did it again. He shot a doe yesterday with his TC Hawkin. Deer was hit behind the shoulder, angling back slightly...a good bow shot. She went fifty yards or so.

NOT A DROP OF BLOOD UNTIL WHERE SHE LAY.

As I said in my thread from last week, I just don't get it. If that had been my slug gun or my bow, there would have been a river of blood. He switched to a 54 cal. for this reason.

Just thought I'd let you guys know the continuation of the story.

Greg
Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ML did it again!

Well congrates,I dont understand either. I get the normal blood loss with my inline.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife killed a doe with her .45 inline. She broke both front shoulders and the deer went about 80 yards, no blood, except where it died and there was blood everywhere there. We found the deer by doing circles.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 PM

This is going to sound a little far fetched but I worked triage in Vietnam and what you are describing is not unusual at all for that type of shot-an inline shot will seldom exit as it 'wears' and 'velocity exhausts before it can do so. The entry wound is an incursion wound with the blow back velocity sufficient to internally seal the wound while the adrenaline is high. Hence lots of internal bleeding but nothing exiting the original wound-when relaxation occurs for any reason-all the blood then literally will explode back through the entry wound. Saw way too much of that in Nam for my liking but I believe that is what you are seeing happen in these cases.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no idea what is happening with yalls muzzys. I think it has something to do with powder and bullet choice. My Goodness I have exit holes like the size of a half dollar with pieces of internal parts hanging out.I dont shoot over 75 yards though. I shot one this year in the neck and almost decapatated it. If I did not get a pass thru with a 50 caliber and a 295 copper clad hollow point I think I would quit.I have shot it in to a 8 inch tree already and dug the bullet out.It was 4 inches deep and mushroomed out to the size of a quarter.