Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How close to other people do you hunt? >

How close to other people do you hunt?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How close to other people do you hunt?

Old 12-19-2004, 07:38 PM

Default How close to other people do you hunt?

I hunted with a friend today on his land. The tree stands we were in are about 400' feet apart on two different trails that come out of his swamp. We were in the tree stands by 5:30am and I'm quite sure I heard him snoring by 5:45am. At first I laughed but after 15 minutes I knew it might be trouble. After 30 minutes I started trying to think of ways to wake him up. Then after more than an hour of him snoring I hear a ring tone from a cell phone. It was his mother calling to say she was in sears parking lot waiting for them to open. She just want to know what he was doing. I could here him talking and I was just like WTF? It was 15 minutes before sunrise and I could here him say"Oh, I'm in my tree stand deer hunting". Around 9:00am when we met back at the truck I said "Good morning sleeping beauty" and he laughed and asked if I heard him snoring.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How close to other people do you hunt?

Where I hunt there is hardly ever anyone within several miles. We have a lot of Deer In South Dakota but very few people. This year there were six of us that hunted on about 9000 acres. I went out the second week and by then there were only three of us.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

No closer than a quarter of a mile.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:31 PM

about 300yds
Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 PM

Used to hunt with two people in viewing distance to either side of me. (My dad ~80 yards on one side and my uncle ~150 yards on the other side).

This year I was probably about 300 yards from my dad and 200 from my uncle but well out of veiwing distance. We were hunting at a new location. We just try to set up in such a away that once we get the deer to use atleast 2 of us and usually get shots at them. We're kind of close but we all hunt diverse locations. My dad hunts in some pines, my uncle over a thicket, and I hunt at the edge of a powerline.

We all use cell phones but on silent mode and dont talk loud of course. My dad and uncle have those nextel walkie talkie type phones and sometimes you can hear them beeping and talking to each other but they usually use it on silent as a cell phone.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

when i hunted with dad i was usually in sight......this was the first year opening morning i wasnt in sight of him.......i was 100 miles away....hunting alone for the first time ever on a rifle opener....i do hate hunting like that....i can watch him moving....by 8am he ate all his lunch....wresting it out of a plastic bag....then sucking on a water bottle so it crunches.....then 10 or so if i didnt shot yet hed walk over and see if i saw anything....he knows i was shooting the first deer i seen....id just say did you hear the mauser bark??im done hunting like that..love hunting with dad.....but being by his side stand hunting is coming to an end.....woods are plenty big for both of us......when i do hunt with him ill have a spot somewhere else on the same land.......doing drives im usually 50-100yds lined up with someone.....but we are doing drives....i did have 2 kids scare 2 does away i was squeezing on a few weeks ago....came out of the drive into the field as planned.....were going to walk right infront of me...but stopped at the corner because the 2 kids werent smart enough to tuck back in the woods a few yards.....they saw the deer after i did...and were talking about the deer.....deer heard them and as i was squeezing the trigger they bolted....i heard the girl laugh right before....i was mad.....but its how we hunt.......people just gota learn they still have to be quiet and hide a bit.......
Old 12-19-2004, 11:25 PM

We're packed in tight enough, but I would guess that the average distance from one stand to the next is about 300 yards. Far enough that everyone is safe, but not far enough that all the DEER are safe! LOL
Old 12-20-2004, 12:19 AM

I always hunt alone. If I even see somebody else I will completely vacate the area. I elk hunt early and I am in possition long before first light. Often, seeing headlights in the distance coming up the mountain will drive me nuts. I need a horse.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I try and hunt alone,but in my area if your to close to a State gamelands you might see up to 40 or 50 people walk by in a day and be able to see 12 or so orange blurrs off in the distance sitting.When a deer runs threw it is a war.I find a big tree to hide behind.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:47 AM

5 guys 300 acres. The best days are when I go out alone. Much more peaceful.

Quick Reply: How close to other people do you hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.