Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Read on brothers!

Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Read on brothers!

I recently had an issue at my place of employment concerning the fact that I hunt. For the record where I work is a large insurance company and not many people hunt so I know better than to talk about it in the open to the non hunting public. But because of a recent hunt I booked and took vacation time to go it was known I was going hunting. Well when I returned I had some hand written notes stating that I should SAVE THE CARIBOU and not kill them on my desk. I at first blew it off as a joke and didn't say anything until someone decided to google my name and bingo! There was several pictures of me on the net with some of my trophys. Some were from contests I had won over the years other were on outfitter web pages. Still not a big deal until someone told me out of the blue that i shouldn't hunt because I don't really need the meat to survive and it was cruel! Now I'm getting pissed off! Well come review time my boss tells me that same person in the dept. has an issue with me being to aggressive (wouldn't you be) and wants to know what is going on. When I spill the beans and tell him and someone from H-R what is going on he tells me that because I hunt I should expect this and to just accept it and deal with it! When I asked if he was going to talk to the other person in question he says why? Oh and one more thing: the idiot that caused all of this recently ordered veal at a Christmas luncheon! Not that there is anything wrong with veal but she didn't even know what it was when she ordered it. What a loser!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Read on brothers!

Tell her she shouldn't eat young innocent animals. haha
But seriously if she has a problem with you and your hunting and the boss talks to you about it, why would he not talk to her also if she is bothering you with her notes and whatnot. People bother me with their anti-hunting views. If we like to enjoy the outdoors and hunt, just let us be. Too bad you didn't have a couple other hunters to back you at your job.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:40 PM

This is the thing that gets me, I don't ever ever point my views of hunting towards people. But when legitimate people are interested in hunting and I will explane. This was NOT the case. I take three things very serious in my life and one of them was treaded on! I will not persue this any further based on the fact that i like my job and won't let someone push my buttons. I guess I posted this to also get some kind of support. It also seems that some people are ignorant to the fact that the meat products bought in a store were really animals at one time!
Old 12-18-2004, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just how big a deal are you willing to make of this? You are obviously completely in the right, but how far are you willing to go to prove your point and protect your rights in the work place against harrassement, intimidation, discrimination and possible future action against you? Even if you choose not to take any legal action at this point, I strongly suggest that you save any future notes received from this individual in a file away from your ofice, document any meetings with your supervisor in regard to this including the one already held. Get the name of the HR person present when this was discussed and document their statements and suggestions. Do NOT use any company items for your personal use to do this, do not make or keep any notes on company PCs or stationery and do not use a company PC to engage in any activity related to hunting. If your boss or a co-worker sends you anything via email in regard to it, do send a copy to yourself on your private email address or make a paper copy. While it may be pushing a point, most states have laws regarding harrassment of hunters (while hunting but you don't need to mention that) and you may wish to check that out in your state.
Document every negative action or comment directed toward you so you have a trail of facts to back you up if it is ever needed to protect your job, future promotion or peace of mind. Good Luck.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay strong Hedhuntr, keep your head up!! By the way, let's see some pics of your trophy's.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:00 AM

Here is one picture. I have a few more to scan. I am also still working on my web page. Thanks for the support
Old 12-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

That is a damn nice buck, I like the high racks like that (basket rack?) Congrats and be sure to post up the site address when you get some pics on it.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

if this will help you explain/defend your actions as a hunter, please feel free to use it......i wrote it to my dad yrs.ago,i'm sure the facts have changed some , but the rest is the same .....good luck with these A-holes.....

please ,take a look at the issue through the eyes of those who know hunting for what it really is…..and hunter’s for who they are……..
The hunter’s heart: is a mystery to many……those who do not hunt often feel that it is cold, dark , and full of evil….. truly not the case…
It starts with Ethics…without ethics, man can be a licensed hunter and still be a poor sportsman…. The ethical hunter knows both the limits of their equipment and their shooting ability and always tries for a quick, clean harvest. In addition , the ethical hunter obeys all laws written and unwritten when hunting.
The ethical hunter treats game with respect before and after the shot ,we take pride in hunting and being hunters we always hunt in such a way that neither us or the game are shamed…
The ethical hunter will make every possible effort to help find lost game and will even abandon their own hunt to help others recover lost game……
We never take more than our legal limit of game ( bag limits made their first appearance in Iowa in 1878 and , by the end of the first century , 13 states had limited the amount of game that could be legally taken. Over the next 10 years , HUNTERS in 23 more states REQUESTED this approach to wildlife conservation) , but more importantly we never take more than what we can use….
Game is quickly and skillfully cleaned and never wasted , this shows that respect for game is a part of our own self respect as a hunter…. Finding pleasure in sharing game with others.
Now the UNETHICAL HUNTER , the TAKER , is the opposite of all that us ETHICAL HUNTERS , us GIVERS , stand for….they have no respect for themselves , the laws , the land , or the animals.
To us, the hunt is a deep and meaningful thing involving much more than a harvest .
To many of us it allows us to spend time with friends , talking , listening , and like a student wanting to learn, asking questions , trying to understand his/her animal….it’s behavior, it’s habitat, etc. , this allows the true hunter to accomplish the task with effectiveness, honor, and a sense of gratitude / elation when it all comes together…..
It’s what we feel is the driving force for most of the true and honest hunters out there.
To us , the hunt is an experience in learning self awareness, personal development , and about nature, and the game hunted , etc.., with respect…..
If hunting is to continue , these things have to be understood , valued , and communicated …..you can think of real hunters as Guides in a sense , we consider ourselves as “ professionals” in the guiding field, in that we “profess” a view defined to the ethical hunter……
We do it voluntarily , we share it, and we admonish each other when we don’t live up to the standards expected of us.
Why do we hunt?……Watch a Lab as it goes afield to retrieve the waterfowl and you’d understand a little bit better what goes on inside of all hunters as they walk into the woods or onto the mud flats to set out our decoys, triggering In hunters irrepressible excitement and pleasure.
It’s like quenching a thirst, scratching an itch….it seems to satisfy a deep , human need.
Hunting is basic to our natures. As long as people have populated the earth , they have taken the lives of other species to feed themselves.
In terms of human time , we’ve only recently domesticated animals; for most of our history , the meat people have eaten was taken from carcasses of wild animals they captured and killed.
Social anthropologists maintain that our unique and complicated social organization and language evolved because coordination and communication were necessary to successfully hunt large and dangerous game.
Hunting may also spurred our aesthetic impulses . Certainly , some of the first evidence we have of our species; artistic nature, manifested in cave paintings of Lascaux , France , were stylized representations of animals and the human hunters that pursued them.
When human life and so many other human qualities owe their existence to hunting , it seems preposterous that organized animal rights groups could claim hunting is inhumane .
Hunter’s need not to apologize for hunting. They follow their instinct and their part is clear and straightforward. Hunters allow no middlemen, salesman , marketing experts , chefs , or grocers to trick them into thinking that their lives don’t rely on death of animals. For Hunters , the formula is as simple as nature herself: an animal is harvested to feed the hungry.
Nor is it cruel. Game animals aren’t caged , fattened , bred , jammed together or raised on production lines. They live in the woods and wetlands , following the natural instincts of their species.
A hunter’s bullet may end a wild animal’s life. Animal Right’s activists often dwell on that exact moment , seeming to forget that death is the fate of all living things. A hunter’s bullet is usually clean and quick. Real hunters insist on it..
Thanks to hunters’ interest in maintaining sustainable populations of game animals and to the many dollars generated for wildlife management through license sales and special taxes on hunting equipment , the number of deer , turkey , squirrel , and other game species are stable and increasing. Other species have been brought back from the brink of extinction , such as the giant Canada goose.
Regulated hunting seasons and bag limits keep animal populations in check and prevent a repeating boom and bust a cycle of overabundance followed by mass starvation and disease ...
Hunting also brings into balance those who go afield.
Hunting rewards alertness , patience , self-restraint. It demands stealth , keen vision , a knowledge of the quarry and it’s environment. . Those who refuse to learn the ways of the woods are seldom successful.
Hunter’s could buy their meat in sanitized , foam and plastic containers from the stores, leaving the killing to others. By doing so , however , they’d sacrifice their sense of self-reliance , of individuality , of participation in the natural world.
Hunting provides many pleasures , including lifelong friendship (it’s why your daughters are friends), every part of hunting has it’s pleasures , from the planning , to the scouting , the hunt itself , It’s a time we can reflect on our lives , a time when we can be one with the land , the animals and our heavenly father…..
Here are some facts on Hunting:
There are measures that are taken to sterilize a deer herd , it costs $700. A deer per year….This is a costly task…………….
A healthy deer herd on suitable habitat can be reduced by as much as 40% with no ill effect on populations; hunters rarely take more than 15% . If not harvested , a deer herd can double in size in only two years , quickly depleting available food supplies , In a harsh winter , when an oversized herd depletes all available food , merciless death by slow starvation is inevitable .Predators attack the young and the hunger-weakened stragglers. Disease and parasites add to the toll. Most often , the end result is a weak , unhealthy herd containing far fewer deer than would be present if hunters had taken a reasonable surplus in the fall
Quail have an annual mortality rate of 75% to 80 % , whether they are hunted or not. Through license fees and taxes , hunters and anglers contribute and average of $3 million EACH DAY to wildlife conservation. Habitat improvement that benefits quail likewise helps, songbirds; land that is acquired and /or managed for deer or turkey also provides homes for foxes , bobcats , and other mammals and species of birds.
When the National Wild Turkey Federation was founded in 1973 , there were only 1.3 million turkeys throughout the united states.
Since then , that number has more than tripled and now stands at 5 million birds. NWTF has raised and spent more than $120 million in projects benefiting wild turkeys throughout the U.S. and Mexico and Canada.
Since it’s founding in 1937, Ducks Unlimited ( DU ) has raised more than a $1 billion , which has contributed to the conservation of more than 9.4 million acres of prime wildlife habitat in all fifty states , each of the Canadian provinces and in key areas of Mexico.
In the U.S. alone , DU has helped to conserve 2 million acres of waterfowl habitat , Some 900 species of wildlife live and flourish on DU projects , including many threatened or endangered species.
Hunting for the hungry is a program that helps feed the less fortunate and their families.
Another fact: wildlife is produced by nature without altering landscape. Nature doesn’t clear complex habitats, which are home to many species , to plant fields of corn , so as to fatten cattle .unlike the waste products from pork or chicken factories , the waste products of wildlife don’t pollute watersheds.
Wild food is grown without biocides or large inputs of petroleum , both of which are mainstays of modern agriculture. Biocides kill all sorts of wildlife - birds, rodents, reptiles , fish- and the extraction of petroleum causes displacement and deaths of Caribou, grizzlies , birds……..the list is long.
Producing organic vegetables also has a bloody price tag. Deer , for example are routinely controlled so that the organic soybeans , apples , and salad greens can be grown successfully. Thus the purest of vegans can’t avoid indirectly killing wildlife In the process of eating!
Instead of denying the situation , hunting places one firmly in the midst of it .
Let’s talk about the Religious aspect of it too…….we’re woodsman like Nimrod , the mighty hunter.
We are patient, willing to sit as still as statues and freeze or smolder in the heat for hours, suppressing the urge to sneeze , yawn , or even scratch the many bites that we’ve accumulated since dawn.
Yet , we are doing something we love , even though it costs us hours of preparation time and lost sleep .When we’re in the field , we feel a sense of of destiny and fulfillment .Totally alive and very much in touch with the joy when in the field-something to be envied in a world with far too little joy.
There is a biblical, spiritual , and legal basis for hunting. It is a part of our heritage , our God given right , and hunters are not wanton killers. No hunter shall ever be ashamed of anything he does with the Lord.
We have God as our hunting companion , knowing that he will guide us and keep us safe….
“Thou shalt not kill” , There’s a vast difference between killing and murdering – the difference we all understand and support,.
Murder is wrong ,( and rawtsakh ) , the original word for murder . Nowhere in the Old Testiment is the word murder used in the connection with the killing of an animal . A totally different word is used when God talks about the killing of an animal , one only found in connection with killing as a sacrifice (shawkhat).
God , himself killed the first animal: ”unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins , and clothed them”.(genesis 3:21)
“ And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth…..into your hands are they delivered. Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you…..I have given you all things” (genesis9:2,3)
There is nothing to challenge the over-all view , set down in Genesis , that man is the pinnacle of creation , that all the other creatures have been delivered into his hands , and that we have his divine permission to kill and eat them”
When we’re in the woods, we get a chance to look around us praise him for his creations……
We give thanks- our personal thank you” Everything we have in this world we owe to our heavenly Father. Our lives , our health , our families , friends , and our love for hunting and the outdoors would be nothing without God’s love and guidance., we know this.
We bring a scripture or two with and memorize it , we don’t want to waste time while out there.
We pray for family , anti’s , the animals, safety for both hunters and the hunted ……
It’s a time where we can reflect on our lives , the day, whatever we want…….
We hope that ya’ll have a better understanding of what a hunter is , who we are .
We aren’t out to change your views , just thought that if you were to get some input on some of the facts that you’d have an understanding about our world….. Thank you for taking the time out to read all of this……...and for taking the time to get to know your hunters better…….
Old 12-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well the reason the complaing trouble maker did not get in trouble could be the boss is doinking her ??? Nice buck I would get a paper weight pen holder or something made of a animal for your desk.Let the her look at that.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

now how do we know they are doing eachother? did i miss that.... if so ,you are so screwed.....people tend to lose thier ability to have an open mind when that happens....my old boss was doing the secratary, she could do no wrong......
i would document everything that is said or done, to proptect yourself....
got a camo tie? wear it to work ,lol......it'll look so nice witht he paperweight, lol.....good lcuk on this one and i hope you turn thier ignorance into knowledge.....maybe they wouldnt have their heads up , well you know.......

Quick Reply: Read on brothers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.