HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what to do ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/83037-what-do.html)

nosfedgta 12-17-2004 05:33 PM

what to do ??

i have a question here. I hunted in a small food plot this evening and had some bad luck. I was there by 3:30 and about 15 min before dark I hear deer moving behind me. I waited patiently and they just kept on walking aorund in the small hardwood bottom. then I hearda heavier deer walking and it walked right behind my stand in the bottom. then it walked around in the bottom untill dark. well right at dark it wlked to the edge of the food plot. I could hear him walking 20 yards from me. Well he then waited at the edge untill it was very dark. I could not see through the scope anymore. It then walked out about 10 yards into the food plot. I twisted just a liitle to get a better look at him "clear night good moonlight" and my ankle cracked. When this happend he looked straight at my position and I could make out a rack, not sure how big or anything but I could see the white on his horns. Well he looked for aobut 30sec and then took off back inot the woods.

I had planned allweek to hunt in a certain spot tomm, and was wondering If I should go back to the food plot in the morning or would it be a waste of time and should I just go o the other spot I had picked out >?

There is a FRESH scrape aobut 100 yards from the food plot that had been check earlier in the day or the night before so I am kinda torn on what to do..... any help would be great...

DelcoJim 12-17-2004 07:44 PM

RE: what to do ??

i doubt he knew what the noise was , he probably just figured since he can't tell what it was it would be better to leave, chances are he will be back . but he might be a little warier for the next few days. if you can, skip this spot for a week and hunt some other. maybe see if you can get closer to where he is coming from ,ie BED, so you can get a chance at him before it gets too dark
also he is probably not the only buck around and who knows maybe you will see his daddy from your stand

cardeer 12-18-2004 12:28 AM

GO back,when I see deer I go there no matter what happened before

BowHuntingFool 12-18-2004 11:09 AM

I agree 100% with cardeer! Get back out there and git-R-done:D

MOTOWNHONKEY 12-18-2004 12:44 PM

Yea go knock that bucks crank in the dirt! He will be back and this time oil up those ankels.

nosfedgta 12-19-2004 06:55 PM

thanx for the motivation guys.... I was going to go back today but the darn wind was pushing 25-30mph and the rain was on and off all day. I have off all day thursday and friday I am going ot hunt all day both days. Its going to be a long wekend, but I hope to score a buck this weekend...