Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 20 gauge slugster for deer-YEA or NAY? >

20 gauge slugster for deer-YEA or NAY?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

20 gauge slugster for deer-YEA or NAY?

Old 12-19-2004, 08:52 AM

Default RE: 20 gauge slugster for deer-YEA or NAY?

I have a H@R 20 gauge and i love it i used it on turkeys only but i'm sure i could drop a deer with a slug from her
Old 12-19-2004, 07:53 PM

The reading I have done says that the high performance 20 gauge slugs have as much, or more, power than a 454 Casull. Similar velocities and trajectories.
I would say that it would be sufficient.
My sons each killed a buck this year with a youth 20 I bought them. Both shot 3 inch mags w/ #2 buck. The first at about 40 yards dropped like a stone, 6 or 7 shots hit. The second, I couldn't find that evening and had to look for a couple of hours the next day, not nearly as good performance at around 45 yards.
I have since put a scope on it and although not a rifled barrel, it will hit a pie plate at 100 yards every time.
Great gun for kids.
Myself, I have a rifled barrel for my 12 guage but very seldom use it. Have a couple of barrels for my encore and have become completely dependant upon it for deer hunting.
r
Hankster
Old 12-19-2004, 08:36 PM

I use a Remington 20 Guage and its the most accurate gun i have ever shot slugs throught. I tried my 12 gauges and some other 20's but this 20 Gauge just has it in it. I have been using it since i was a kid and i kind of out growed it but i still use it cuz it shoots so darn good. I use 2 3/4 riffled slugs. Longes shot with open sights was at 110 paces. Nocked it right over, drilled him right in the shoulder. Also made some pretty good shots out to 75 yards and traking is easy cuz it leaves some good entry and exit holes.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:28 PM

my cousin used to shoot a 20 gauge for deer and he moved up to a 12 gauge this year. i can say from what i saw that a 12 gauge outperforms a 20 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.it punches a bigger hole, has more energy, and shoots farther. Almost everybody in our group shoots a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel and scope. Besides my 870 or an 1187 in some way shape or form, the only other slug gun i would ever consider buying would be a Browning Abolt shotgun. if you can find one for a good price, i would buy it. those things drive tacks. i honestly would never consider getting a single shot shotgun for hunting in iowa. having 5 shells in the gun instead of 1 is alot better. no hammer to get in the way. just shoot and pump. very reliable. i say invest the money and buy a Remigton 870 deer gun in 12 gauge w/ synthetic or an 1187 deer gun in synthetic. i've seen both consisently perform year and year without failure. Abolt shotgun too. My longest shot with the 870 was at 110 yards, hit the doe right in the shoulder, she dropped where she stood. had 1 buck two years ago get shot in the hindquarters, he went 50 yards, bleeding all over before i could stick him again. some of those big mature iowa bucks can really go aways with no lungs or heart and bleeding like a son of a gun. i had one other doe drop in her tracks at 11 yards.the buck i got this year went maybe 25-30, looked like somebody doused the sides of his trail with a can of red paint.hit was far back too.

As far as slugs go, our group has used almost everything:Winchesters, Brenekees, Federals, and Lightfields, but now we're almost all shooting the same thing: Remington Coppersolids. They've consistently outperformed everything else. they hit hard, and leave big holes, puttin the hurtin' on that deer. 2 3/4". Some of us use the 3", but they just add KE, not fly any better. the heavier slug actually drops more at range. Almost any deer shot with a slug in the chest is going to go down for sure, but when i want two big holes and lots damage, i go with the coppersolids. A guy that hunts with us has a $1400 Tar Hunt DSG 870 thats custom sighted in with lighfield hybrids. we found one of the slugs in his bucks, and it did not go all the way through on the 35 yard shot. sure, the deer dropped in its tracks, but i want a slug that puts two holes in the deer. two holes=more blood and quicker recovery. the winchester partition gold's are also a very good slug. i've seen several deer shot with them, and they perform well. another guy that hunts with us picked up a dozen boxes of Federal Barnes Expanders sabots at $2.50 a box at a going out of biz sale. they performed pretty good this year on a couple of does. best bet is the coppersolids IMO. some guns will shoot a little different, gotta make sure your gun likes them too.

slayer
Old 12-21-2004, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the mossberg 500 trophy slug gun in 20ga. this gun is so accurate and light I love it. I use lightfield 2-3/4" hybred slugs. That 20ga will take down a deer just as fast and good as a 12ga......do yourself a favor get yourself a 20ga.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:31 AM

I have a 20 ga. NEF Limited Edition Single Shot slug gun. I can't complain abou tit one bit. The 20 ga is lighter hits almost as hard and is more accurate then the 12 ga's I have seen. I am shooting the federal sabot slugs with the Barnes Expander bullets. Don't listen to all the other crap they say about knockdown power and pass thru. If you hit in in the vital area, he's not going very far anyway. Just my $.02