Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

For all NYS hunters

Old 12-29-2004, 02:33 PM

Default RE: For all NYS hunters

Charlie------I am with you all the way on that one.We bagged 3 coyotes the 1st day of deer season. Only saw 1 deer all day too. But I'm hopeing that getting rid of 3 helped the deer and turkey population!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM

The meetings are starting for anyone who is interested. I believe all hunters should go to these meetings to let their voice be heard.

DEC public meeting to discuss changes to 2005 deer seasons

The nearest Department of Environmental Conservation Region 7 public meeting on the subject of the proposed new Southern Zone deer hunting regulations will be held 7-9 p.m. Feb. 8 at Chenango Valley High School.

The only other Region 7 meeting scheduled so far will be 7-9 p.m. Feb. 10 at the state fairgrounds in Baldwinsville.

The state will accept public comment on the proposals through March.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you know where I stand (my letter is in the NE forum). I don't necessarily dissagree with much of what you say. I know about the length thing (mine was long as well).

1) I am not a huge fan of AR but I don't think it is necessarily bad either (how's that for wishy washy). If they went with a min 3 on one side, I don't think it would hurt things too much and help in the long run
2) earn a buck would never fly, especially for residents
3) I honestly am not a fan of lowering the age. it's not that i do not want youth to get involved. I just believ that MOST kids that age are just not ready to handle the responsibility of hunting. I'd rather see some youth hunts. if they were to go to a lower age, i think it should definitely be supervised by an adult hunter until they are 16 or so.
4) early ML - if they are to have an early ML saeason I would rather see it well before prime bow hunting (Oct 1st?) and last for a week, but if they didn't have one I would be fine with taht too (as long as they extended the late season considerably - there needs to some equity in seasons - $16 for a 42 day bow season; $10 for 7 day ML??????).

I think one thing you should pursue is getting some of your neighboring farms to create a "co-op" of sorts. If you can get several of them to buy into some type of management plan, you could better control "your" herd. if you had, say, 500 ac. (1000 ac would be better) you could institure many of the ideas and manage for what you (as a group, with some compromise) want. Just a thought.

Don't know where the closest meeting to you will be regarding the deer issues (probably Oneonta?). Ours is Feb 8th in Binghamton.

FORGOT I HAD ALREADY BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD

here's the link to my letter if anyone is interested.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=910951
Old 01-25-2005, 01:49 PM

The NYS DEC is going to start the public hearings on the deer hunting proposals statewide on Feb. 8. The DEC region 4 meetings are as follows:

Feb. 8 - Kinderhook North Pt cultural arts building
Feb. 12 - Oneonta Holiday Inn
Feb. 16 - Clarion Hotel in Albany

For all other regions, please contact your regional office on the DEC website. They will give you a list of times & places. Try to get to these meetings so our voices in this matter can be heard. The website is: http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/about/abtrull3.html
Old 01-26-2005, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry but the feb 8th meeting is in Binghamton (???????)
Old 01-26-2005, 09:38 AM

That could be for a different region. Each region statewide is having a meeting on Feb. 8
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok
Old 01-26-2005, 06:38 PM

well look at my pics the mature bucks in the southern tier are strictly nocturnal and during the day they are hiding in back yards and then do their bus. at night. also coyote den in one week had yots bring in 13 deer.
they chase them till there tired and then they tear them apart and size doesnt matter.