Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics) >

Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

Old 12-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

I have posted a couple of these pics already. Two of our buddies got down there to hun this past week and hit it perfectly. Got good cold weather, hit the moon phase perfectly and saw lots of deer moving. We still have three more people with buck tags so hopefully we can pull a couple more good bucks off the lease. So far we have shot an 8, two 9's, a 10 and, a nice 15 point. Take a look and tell me what you think. Not quite South Texas Size deer but good bucks for our area.

http://community.webshots.com/album/233019136ZHQzNJ
Old 12-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

Nice bucks!!! That sure is a good season for you and your buddys. Congrats!!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Not quite South Texas Size deer but good bucks for our area.
I love how we work so hard to be humble and modest on the board. As a result we take the prize in understating success

Those are NOT "good bucks" they are GRRREEEAT

Man, they don't have to be 190 class deer from south texas to get everyone showing some real emotion do they???

Good job jeg!
Old 12-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on the good year
Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 PM

Looks like it was a ton of fun!

Congrats!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:39 PM

Jeg, those are some extremely nice bucks. Did you notice how dark their antlers were? That's a good sign that they had great nutrition through the antler growing season. This year was spectacular in West Texas wasn't it? Best rain year since 1969 in this area.

Congrats, guy, y'all had a blue ribbon year!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 PM

Nice bucks. Have to say, we been kind of disappointed where I hunt. More rain than anyone remembers, but antler development has been so-so. Figure there was so much browse available that many bucks ate what was right around them, instead of moving and feeding on some of the higher protein scattered plants.

Did you notice how dark their antlers were? That's a good sign that they had great nutrition through the antler growing season.
I can't agree with that. We've got lights and chocolates pretty evenly scattered across the ranch. Seems to be more genetic than feed related. We've tracked the same bucks for years, and some are light, and some are dark.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:01 AM

Nice deer! Most of em are mounters

Tim
Old 12-17-2004, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Charley

Nice bucks. Have to say, we been kind of disappointed where I hunt. More rain than anyone remembers, but antler development has been so-so. Figure there was so much browse available that many bucks ate what was right around them, instead of moving and feeding on some of the higher protein scattered plants.

Did you notice how dark their antlers were? That's a good sign that they had great nutrition through the antler growing season.
I can't agree with that. We've got lights and chocolates pretty evenly scattered across the ranch. Seems to be more genetic than feed related. We've tracked the same bucks for years, and some are light, and some are dark.
I'm no expert but Dr. James Kroll states in his book, 'A Practical Guide to Producing and Harvesting White-tailed Deer' that the better nutrition the deer have during the antler growth season, the better blood supply to the antlers and therefore the darker stain the antlers will have. It always made sense to me but I'm no Wildlife Biologist so I will defer to your expertese. In any event, those were nice bucks. I've also noticed the same characteristics on the antlers on my place in comparisson to last year and I know that we had a spectacular year in terms of rain and the browse and forage created due to the rains. I know they've had more browse than usual because they are all healthier looking than I've seen them in several years. For sure it has had that effect on the deer herd in West Texas. Great to see!
Old 12-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

whish i could say the same about my season. Nice bucks!

Quick Reply: Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.