Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics) >

Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

Old 12-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Five Bucks Shot off the lease this season, Ozona, Texas (pics)

ORIGINAL: OntElk

Man, they don't have to be 190 class deer from south texas to get everyone showing some real emotion do they???
Trust me I am estatic about my buck, three of us shot our biggest buck to date this year. The only reason I am not going on and on about them is because two of us passed up young 12 points, one past up a young 13 and we saw several good young 10's and 8's. Hopefully we have another year of rain like we had this year, I think that has played a big role in improving the quality of deer we have shot and seen.

ORIGINAL: Wes Tex

Did you notice how dark their antlers were? That's a good sign that they had great nutrition through the antler growing season.
I think genes do play a role but we have had two great rain seasons in a row. We have been on this lease the last 8 years. Last year and especially this year we have seen a great improvement as far as body sizes and antlers. Deer are averaging about 20 pounds more this year. I have seen more chocolate horns this year than I ever have. I think both genes and nutrition are both playing a role. Despite the abundant rain last year we put out more protein than we ever have seems like they were eating it non stop.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Good to hear it. I live not far from Ozona and it is nice to see the bucks are moving agian. This warm weather has had the last two weeks messed up. I cant gripe, I have already taged my buck during the rut. A nice 10 point. Im trying to get a friend his buck. We have seen nothing but spikes and small four points the last two weeks.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I hope they continue to move, I am leaving for one more hunt this weekend. I am trying to help my brother get a good one. I am proud of him he has passed on some really good young bucks hopefully his patients will pay of this weekend. Thanks for all the great comments and GOOD LUCK to everyone even thought the season is winding down in most areas.