Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you hang your deer?????? >

How do you hang your deer??????

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you hang your deer??????

Old 12-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you hang your deer??????

I field dress my deer in the woods,hang the deer up by the head,and let hang for at least 3 days in the cold.I find they bleed out better if the blood is running down and out the pooper.When I skin out my deer they are then hung by the back legs and work from the rear end to the head.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Fork Horn

20 years of deer hunting and never hung one by its neck i too think it is dis respectful to the animal and as a partial native american i beleive that the killed game deserves as much respect and honor as posibal (cant spell today) never had a problem bleeding them
Old 12-16-2004, 07:41 AM

Head down,unless you hang it outdoors and exspect rain.The hair runs toward rump with the rain.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Head down . I gut the deer on the ground , then hang him and remove the hide. I then reduce the deer into pieces which I put in my pack frame. I take these pieces home and into the fridge they go for at least 2 days , a week doesn't hurt them either. I then remove the meat and finish the butchering ,wrap and into the freezer. The pieces I take out are the two front shoulders, the loin is boned out, neck meat also boned out, the two hams are packed as well. just the tender loins and a bit of burger to trim off the back bone and rib cage.
The legs, from just above the knee, the rib cage, back bone, hide and guts stay at the kill site. I find this a lot easier than dragging out a deer and most of the mess stayes in the bush. A warm deer skins much better than a cold one.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

i also field dress and then take it straight to the processor