Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever? >

does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

Old 12-12-2004, 06:51 PM

Default RE: does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

i've killed 19 deer in my 4 years of deer hunting and i get the fever every time. i just tell myself to stay calm and i breathe. you gotta breathe.dont hold your breath. it'll make it worse. Then the second before i pull the trigger i just go into autopilot mode. i really dont remember pulling the trigger, its just like a subconcious action. but do i ever get the shakes afterward! after i got my buck this, i just kinda looked at realized what i had just done. 50 deer coming down right on top of you really is awesome. i just looked around and saw the empty hulls lying at my feet and i had to sit down to keep from falling down. thats the fun of it. the reason i hunt. the adrenaline. you just gotta control your feelings and breathe. it helps for me by getting my gun up and getting ready to make the shot.get the safety off and track the deer in the scope until it offers the shot. if you're absolutely going nuts, dont look at the headgear if its a buck. i've never had a problem when checking the rack before i shoot. good luck

slayer
Old 12-27-2004, 08:25 PM

Once I see horns I never look back at the head till I shoot helps me might try this.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

All had good advice and I like what Muley69 said about getting out and shooting in the woods as anyone can shoot good at the range but making it more realistic will help too. He also mentioned getting mad at the animal and I had a friend of mine tell me that this fall. He considers them the enemy and hunts as if the deer has a weapon and can shoot back. It may sound corny but he doesn't miss much. I plan on doing more shooting in the woods this year with rifle and muzzleloader as I missed a shot on a doe with my new mz and want to gain more confidence with it. What JohnCH said about getting out and seeing animals is so true too. I get out in the spring pre turkey season and call turkeys in and get a chance to observe them close range and they are good practice for remaining still and learning to move when the opportunity presents itself. There is no substitute for experience and being around more deer and other animals can't hurt.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:54 AM

calm down, tell yourself i have to calm down other wise im gonna miss. think its only a deer, i can do it. think about other things