Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever? >

does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

Old 12-11-2004, 03:30 PM

Default does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

I am having a problem with buck fever. I have killed over 20 deer and did not have this problem until last year. I do fine until its time to pull the trigger, then i choke. its not the rifle because i easily shoot moa from the bench. i just need advice on what to do when i decide to pull the trigger. i have already missed 2 deer this year due to this problem.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:54 PM

Default RE: does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

It's something you just have to work thru. I always get the "fever" before the shot. But when I start to aim, I seem to suddenly get calm. Maybe the concentration on making a good shot that seems to help me. If it takes a long time from seeing the deer until the shot that's when it's the worst. If the deer suddenly appears, I don't have time to get shook up. I have heard all kinds of suggestions. Take a couple of deep breaths, pinch yourself, etc. If you have taken deer in the past, it just might be a stage you're going thru, Tuff it out. One thing to remember, if you didn't get excited, You'd probably quit hunting, it'd be no fun.

Russ
Old 12-11-2004, 04:03 PM

I had the same problem last year, It cost me a nice buck too...
Make sure you pick a spot, choose a hair to hit and concentrate on that hair and only that hair

Good Luck
Old 12-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I got better from buck fever is to put your self in front of as many deer as posible . I "hunt" the off season with a camera and bow hunt .
I have killed 60+ deer in 23 seasons and still shake , now only after the shot not before.
I feel if I ever beat buck fever I should quit deer hunting
Old 12-11-2004, 06:22 PM

I have the same problem ,but for some stange reason it's only with Doe's
I cant figure it out,I see a rack come in and I'm fine,check it out ,figure out if I want it ,
take the shot.
But when the doe's come in ,I have a hard time breathing,then that causes me to breath heavy which gets my chest moveing fast and I swear they can see my jacket going in and out for each breath I'm trying to get.
I have to start thinning the does out but am haveing a hell of a time.
I think it's because thier the ones that bust me so I get skitish??
I dont know but it's a PITA
Old 12-11-2004, 09:43 PM

I beat fever by being very "business" like when my critter is spotted. First off, I shoot my rifle a lot year around exception is the dead of winter. In the summer I haul my camper up to the mountains and shoot across canyons and revines at milk jugs loaded with water, it's a blast. We just randomly place jugs on the slope then try to take them out. I know when the animal is spotted that I'm not going to screw up the shot, and that helps tremendously. Secondly, if the "man he is big" thoughts start to creep into my mind I will just get mad at the critter. I will consider him my enemy and that he wronged me in some way. Sounds corny, but it works for me. Finally, talk yourself through the shot and be very matter of fact about it. Talking to yourself helps a lot. In short, practice your shooting for confidence, and then carry it through. I also visualize my deer or elk going down, even when I don't see anything.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beating buck fever is easy guy's! As Whitetail has said find your mark and look at it only ,Don't look at the deer. Just as your setting yourself on him remember to take 2or 3 deep breath's and remember to relax,before you squeeze the trigger .A lot of hunter's who get buck fever get tense from not continuously breathing cutting the oxygen to the brain which cause tension. I used to get buck fever as well and a couple old boy's told me this ,and I found it work's great for me. This will help you calm yourself ,just look at it as if it's another target . The reason you get buck fever is that you know that this deer has defenses and if you make a mistake it will be gone, and you'll not get another shot. A target doesn't move so your calm knowing this fact .Just look at the deer as another target .Take deep breath's and remember to relax.

And don't look at the antlers

nubo
Old 12-12-2004, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try knocking yourself in the sac about 5 times with the butt of your gun, as hard as you can. The fever will disapate because the buck will run off and you will have something else to think about. Oh and keep a cell phone with you so you can call someone to come a get you out of your tree.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:09 PM

HAHAHA! That may work but there has to be an easier way?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

No! This is truely the only way. 5 angered wraps on the ole acorns and the buck fever is all but forgotten. Try it!

Quick Reply: does anyone have any advice for beating buck fever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.