Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

don't know what gun to get

Old 12-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: don't know what gun to get

ORIGINAL: muley69
AAAHHHH! Butch, isn't there some sort of law against putting a scope on a 30.30? I have a Winchester 1894-1994 Centennial edition 30.30 open sights. Your right, these are great little guns. One of my goals is a high country muley with this gun. Dang fun to shoot. Your Marlin is beautiful, even with a scope.
Ha ha ha.... Thanks! I'm going to pull the scope off and check it out at the range with open sights soon. I am looking at getting a more reasonable scope (Burris, Bushnell, used Leupold) in a 1.75-4 type of compact scope for it.

Story behind my Marlin 30-30: I bought it from a buddy at work who's had it for a number of years. It's immaculate, in perfect condition, not a scratch, ding, blemish, etc.... on it. [8D] The buddy first had the 30-30 then bought the huge Simmons 4-12x40 scope. He next was going to buy a 30-06 or .270 or 7mm-08 or something to mount the big scope on. He ran out of $$$ and ended up getting the big scope put on the 30-30 instead. Hey, it works.... Anyway, his wife had a baby and, well, you know how things work out... His wife suggested he sell the Marlin to me, since I've borrowed it to hunt with and fell in love with it. Long story short, I grabbed the beautiful Marlin 30-30 and Simmons scope for only $250 bucks! It was a deal and a half! What a sweet shooter of a gun!

Butch A.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:37 AM

get a 308 150gr. remington core-lokt cant go wrong good for any conditions or any game animals
Old 12-11-2004, 08:26 PM

im going to have to agree with browning... go with a 308
Old 12-11-2004, 09:52 PM

You are getting a lot of advice, which should tell you that you will be successful with any of several choices. My 13 and 16 year old sons and I all have .270's - all stainless with black plastic stocks. Their first and only rifles. Shot 7 deer, 5 antelope and 7 elk. Only one deer has gotten away and it was probably a bad shot. I have never shot 30-06 but the tables and other info tell me they are very close to .270 in performance.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:05 PM

Default RE: don't know what to get

I just got my first and it is a .308 Savage. I'm quite impressed considering it is a $400 combo .
Old 12-12-2004, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: stevo551

can anyone suggest a good gun for me i am 15 years old and before i was borrowing a bolt action .340 weatherby mag with a muzzle brake and i am thinking of getting a 30-06
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
whatever you think you may buy --shoot someone elses first--ask questions of reliablity, comfort you know something that fits your frame on those long hunts and tight terrain- dont be afraid to ask someone to shoot their gun most people jump at the reason to shoot---try the newer guns 300win. , 7mm wsm, -- spend YOUR money on a gun YOU like and feel comfortable with- both physically and cost wise,--
welcome aboard, shoot safe,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no deer is worth a human life- onebullet