Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Dog question

Old 12-09-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Hunting Dog question

I have a 2 y/o part Lab and part Golden Retriever. Every time I go hunting I walk for about 20 min. before I settle on a spot to sit for awhile. After I've been there for awhile my dog always sniffs me out. After she finds me she gets so excited that she starts jumping around and making all kinds of noise. Then she'll take a walk around like she's making a perimeter check. When she's done she'll come and sit right next to me and look around and be quiet. Is there anyway I could train her to track a deer and lead me to a good spot or even just to be a spotter while not barking the whole time? She's good at sniffing things out she's just to loud. I've tried locking her in the house but someone always ends up letting her out. It doesn't matter how long I've been there, she always finds me.

Steve
Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Hunting Dog question

It doesn't matter how long I've been there, she always finds me.
Sounds like she would be a good squirrel dog.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't matter how long I've been there, she always finds me.
Sounds like she would be perfect tracking escaped convicts.

If you had a box blind, you could probably keep her in there with you with no problems.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 PM

My dad has hunted a place in Missouri that had a real big lab that would find any downed deer if it got too dark for the hunters to find them themselves. It would sniff them out and then finish the job if the deer wasn't quite dead yet. Then it would bark and make a lot of noise so you could find your deer. Don't know what to tell you just thought I'd add that.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure you can train her! The part when she finds you and gets all excited, i just love it when they do that, it craks me up!! You can invest in a bark collar for 80 bucks, that dog sounds like it would be good for finding sheds of bucks, and maybe tracking a downed deer if its legal in your state. Give her an antler to chew on and then hide it from her, tell her to fetch it up and play the game with her. She will start bring antlers out of the wood work, and you can put a puzzle together for a nice buck
Old 12-10-2004, 10:57 AM

Those are all very good suggestions. Thanks alot. I didn't realize there was a forum for hunting dogs before I posted this, I usually log in and come straight here without even looking at the other forums, whoops.
Thanks for the help.

Steve