Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sighting in a scope

Old 12-09-2004, 07:41 AM

Default sighting in a scope

Whats the best way to sight in a scope? I've shot $50 worth of sabots already and i still don't have it done [&:].. a question i probably should have asked before i even started since it would have saved me some money but on the scope adjustments it says up and down and shows you which way to turn it to go in that direction, is that which way you want the bullet to move or which way you need the scope to move?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: sighting in a scope

The 2 shot method..... make sure your gun is in a mount or something so it will not move. Shoot one at the target... without moving the gun and with the crosshairs on the bulls eye start to dial the scope toward the bullet hole.you should see your cross hairs moving slowly and eventually they will be on the bullet hole shoot one more to be sure it is zero'd in. saves alot of $$$

Good luck
Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 AM

can i make one of these mounts out of wood or anything? If so can i get some directions?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:16 AM

First , if your having that much trouble , make sure all of the screws for the scope are tight. Start out at 25yds to get on paper. Then when your on @ 25 move out to 50 , then when your on @50 try a 100yds. I assume you have a rifled barrel if your using sabots correct ? If you have a smoothbore and shoot sabots they'll be all over the place. Smoothbores take rifled slugs and the adjustments on the scope move the crosshairs , not the scope. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 AM

yah its fully rifled
Old 12-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah you could make one or just get two buddies with steady hads to hold the hun down in one of the groves of a picnic table while you shoot and make the adjustments. Just make sure you put a blanket on the table first so it wont scratch your stock.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:25 AM

yah its fully rifled
make sure the screws are tight and then use the 25 , 50 & 100yd lengths to sight it in. I've seen too many guys get a new gun & scope and go to the range and start at 100yds and wonder why they cant get on paper. What gun are you using and did you try more than one brand of slugs ?
Old 12-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you getting good groups with the gun??? With an inline, I usually remove the breech plug and sight through the barrel at 50 yards and adjust the bore and the scope at my target at 50 yards...I use a 2 foot by 2 foot target, with the bullseye in the center....I then shoot one shot...and clean the barrel with 3 patches of rubbing alcohol...both sides of patch and I squeeze the patches so they are damp...not soaking wet...then I run one dry patch down the barrel and follow with a lightly oiled patch and another dry patch...then shoot twice more, cleaning again between each shot....The barrel has to be cleaned the same way between each shot to get a consistant group...then if I have a decent group, I adjust the scope and move to 100 yards...I usually sight in about 2-2 1/2 inches high at 100yards....As others have posted...you must have all scope screws tight and reliable scope...I also check all the screws that hold the barrel to the stock, before I begin shooting...But before you can start finetuning a scope, you need to work up a load that will group well in your gun...this takes time, it is a lucky man that can find a good combination in just one range session...Good luck

PS...If you have the gun grouping at 100 yards, and you are say 4 inches to the left and 3 inches low...and your scope is like most with 1/4 inch clicks...you move the adjustment screws 16 clicks right and 12 clicks high...to hit dead on at 100 yards...If you check after this adjustment and you are not dead on at 100...You may have a scope (or loose scope screws) problem...
Old 12-10-2004, 05:25 PM

PLEASE DONT TAKE OFFENSE BUT IF YOU KNOW THAT LITTLE ABOUT SCOPES I SUGGEST YOU TAKE A HUNTER SAFETY COURSE
Old 12-10-2004, 06:04 PM

I have taken one, they didn't teach us about sighting in scopes though, they taught us about hunters safty.

Quick Reply: sighting in a scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.