HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Drying Clothes???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81965-drying-clothes.html)

WantBuck 12-08-2004 08:34 PM

Drying Clothes????

I was wondering if its ok to throw my clothes in the dryer after washing them with scent free soap?I did'nt know if you would be adding more scent using the dryer.Usually I hang them outside but it's raining all week,and if it's raining I use the dryer sheets but all the places around me are sold out.

I also wanted to know how often I should wash my clothes?Right now I wash them every week and hunt the weekends.

Thanks,
JE

dog1 12-08-2004 08:45 PM

RE: Drying Clothes????

WantBuck,

This is what I was told, by a factory rep. at a Walls Outlet store near my home.

She told me the worst thing you could do to Camo clothing is to wash them with detergent that has UV brightners. She recommended on name brand in particular that wouldn't hurt the color and it was Arm and Hammer clothes detergent, which I use lightly and religiously now. She also said to dry the camo clothes on low heat.

Another note that I have first hand experience with is hanging clothes on a line in the yard. Years ago before my mother had a clothes dryer she hung all our clothes outside on a clothes line. She repetedly told us it was the worst thing you could do to color clothing. The sunlight will actually bleach them out, and she always hung our better colored clothing in the wash room. Of course I think hanging them outside is better from the scent standpoint.

Hope that helps some.

dog1

BowHuntingFool 12-08-2004 10:33 PM

I also wanted to know how often I should wash my clothes?Right now I wash them every week and hunt the weekends.
I have washed my bowhunting stuff once in 2 seasons, at the end!!!!!! I do use scent blocker and I will put the carbon liner in the dryer every couple of weeks depending on how much I hunt. I also store them in a plastic tote, works well. I look at it like any clothing the more you wash the more it fades!!!!! I wash my under layer stuff more often and put on the "line" to dry. good luck!

rem7400 2 12-09-2004 07:22 AM

During the early part of the season in SC I have to wash almost every time I wear due to heavy sweating. Wash with Hunter Specialty clothes wash and dry in the dryer on Monday then hang the clothes on the back porch for the rest of the week.
Once it cools off I don't wash them unless necassary. Usually just leave them on the back porch to air out.

Georgetownboys 12-09-2004 09:29 AM

Store all your hunting clothes in a plastic container, well aired out and sprayed with a scent eliminator prior to using. I inlcude in that box a scent chip or 2, the old ones from my last hunts. Only wash when you really have to. Unless you really stink and had a tough hike just air them out and back in the box for your next hunt. Always shower just before you hunt with the scent free soaps. I have not washed my outer clothes since the season started. Have washed the camo tee shirt once or twice. This has been working well for me.

KentuckyBuck 12-09-2004 11:31 AM

All you all have good points--also if you are in dire need of washing them, and do not have a special detergent such as HS Camo Detergent, you can put them in the washing machine with a splash of baking soda and it will do the trick. Not the best method, but for emergencies it will work.
Also, turn clothing inside out when washing and drying, and Tumble Dry Low

WantBuck 12-09-2004 11:39 AM

Because of the rain I have'nt been able to let my clothes dry outside.It's been raining all week.Would I be ok washing them tonight (thur) and drying them in the dryer and be ready to hunt tommorow afternoon?Thats pretty much my only option right now or I could not wash and dry at all,the only thing is last week I got a little sweaty.
Thanks,
JE

BowHuntingFool 12-09-2004 01:21 PM

Hey Wantbuck is you stuff your washing Scent Blocker??

Firehawk7309 12-09-2004 01:21 PM

I agree with the earlier posts. I had to wash my stuff during early bow season because I sweat hard hiking uphill to my spots. To answer your question (or at least give another opinion), I have been using the Fresh Earth dryer sheets and they seem to work well. I picked them up from WalMart. Nothing quite like the smell of dirt.

WantBuck 12-09-2004 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Hey Wantbuck is you stuff your washing Scent Blocker??
No I don't have the scent blocker.Just regular bibs and a jacket.I normally use the dryer sheets but they are all sold out here everywhere.Should I dry them without using the sheets?
Thanks,
JE

BROWNING.308 12-09-2004 05:07 PM

u wash ur closther with scent free soap hang them in ur basement of somewheres to dry then u gather up a bag full of pine sliced apples leaves and throw ur gear in there over night then ur gear is clean and smells like the outdoors watch u dont put in to many apples curious deer might walk up and sniff u