HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Fatal hit or not??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81955-fatal-hit-not.html)

BUCKRIDGE188 12-08-2004 06:51 PM

Fatal hit or not???

I need some opinions on whether this was a fatal hit. I was hunting last Saturday the 4th and had a nice 7 pt. come in about 10 yards away. My stand is about 20ft. off the ground and the buck was walking nose down after a doe. Here is the kicker. Earlier I had turned my scope up to 9x to look at another deer off in the distance and forgot to turn it down. When I made my shot I was right behind the shoulder. At the point of the shot I found nothing. No blood or hair but about 50yrds away he started leaving what I thought was a good blood trail. We followed it about 100yrds. down hill then the rascal turned and went straight back up hill and guess what no more blood. I went back the next day and managed to find a few more drops of blood for about 300 more yards then nothing at all. This deer never layed down one time. I've been hunting with a rifle for over 20 years and this is honestly the first one I've ever lost with a gun. The terain is open hardwoods almost as far as you can see with patchs of mountian laurel in between. Is this deer dead in your opinion or just a superficial wound? Were do you think I hit him???

Doemasters 12-08-2004 07:01 PM

RE: Fatal hit or not???

The first think I would do is simulate that shot. Get off the gound 20' with a deer target at 10 yards... turn your rifle up to 9x & see where it hits. It sounds like you hit him high & had no exit wound. What caliber do you shoot?

BUCKRIDGE188 12-08-2004 09:02 PM

I shoot a Rem. 7mm with hornady 164grn. boatail soft points. Which should have rocked his world at this distance. I'll give your suggestion a try though to ease my mind. Thanks

speyrjb 12-09-2004 10:31 AM

at that range, and at that angle, actually you may have hit the deer very low. When you gun is zeroed at 100yrds, at extremely close distances the gun will shoot low because of line of sight. did you find any hair? If so, what color was it?

Carpmaster 12-09-2004 11:16 AM

I agree you hit him way LOW, I have shot deer that close with my rifle and if i wouldve been in a tree i wouldnt have got them.

Doemasters 12-09-2004 12:04 PM

I understand the thought that he hit him low... but.... If he hit him low, he would have had a lot more blood as the bullet would have exited lower.. Also, with his scope turned wide open, I'm sure he only had a scopeful of hair. I would like to know what color hair you found. I could be wrong... hell, wouldn't be the first time.

BUCKRIDGE188 12-09-2004 02:53 PM

The thing about it guys and gals was I didn't find any hair or blood where he was standing when I shot!!! The first sign of blood was about 50 yrds away. This thing is about to drive me crazy!!! Had to work everyday since so I've not had a chance to look for him anymore or shoot my rifle under these conditions. If it helps any he was completely broadsided when I took the shot. If I had shot this deer with a bow I wouldn't have any problem thinking maybe he made it but my thoughts are if it were a hit in the boiler room with a 7mm the energy produced by the bullet should have put him down within 300 to 400 yards but I could be wrong!!!

speyrjb 12-09-2004 03:10 PM

There's no doubt that with the caliber you are shooting and the bullet you are shooting that at that distance the bullet exited. There's know way, regardless as to where you hit the animal, that the bullet you are shooting would fail to exit.

That being said, it makes more sense that you would have hit the deer low instead of high because of bullet trajectory vs. line of sight. Maybe just clipped him through the brisket or something.

What did the animal do when you shot? Did he hunch up? Did he jump? Did he look like he staggered or fall down? Did he kick? Did he run like a scalded ape like he wasn't hurt? Did he have his tail up? How long were you able to watch him before he went out of sight? Was he "flickering" his tail?

timbercruiser 12-09-2004 04:29 PM

Bright red blood, pinkish bubbly blood, dirty with stomach contents blood, spraying blood, etc?.......Lots of difference and may answer your question about shot placement.

BUCKRIDGE188 12-09-2004 07:26 PM

When I shot he took off like a scared rabbit with his tail up. I wasn't able to get back on him for a second shot. The blood trail started about 50 yrds. from where I shot him. The blood was bright red with no bubbles or stomach matter in it. He bleed real good for the first 100 yards after he started bleeding then turned and started back up the ridge and then nothing but a drop here and there for about 150 more yards then nothing at all.