Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun? >

Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

I have shot many of these over the years, but never owned any. I only own a Ithaca gun ot hunt deer with currently, but this Christmas my wife is going ot glet me buy a new deer gun. I can have a rifle since in Indiana we can only use shotguns, so which shotgun is the best for deer in your opinion(s)??? what do you own? and whats the longest shot you have taken with it? can a slug gun shoot a 200 yuar shot like a muzzleloader?

thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 10:48 AM

Default RE: Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

I love my Remington 870 with rifled barrel and iron sights. I have shot out to 100 yards at the range and can hit a paper plate with it consistently at that distance but my longest shot in the woods with it has been 50 yards or less.

200 yard pokes are rifle range as far as I'm concerned and I would personally pass on one even with my scoped muzzleloader. Most (if not all) shotgun slugs have the trajectory of a garden hose past 100 yards and the energy loss between 100 and 200 yards is probably enough to warrent a slug as effective as a slingshot on game.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Ithaca pump and a Win. Super X semi. Pump is too noisy, IMO. Win. is nice but I can't get a rifled barrel for it. I have friends with a Rem. 870, auto and pump, and that seems the gun to go with. Look for a set that comes with a turkey barrel and rifled barrel. If it's legal, mount a fixed scope on it. The gun is deadly out past 100 yards. Although I've seen it knock a deer down at 125+ yards I wouldn't make a habit of it. Again the pump rattles a little so I prefer the solid fore stock of a semi.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:39 PM

Remington 870 hands down. Best pump gun ever made.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm kinda really partial to my Berreta.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:10 PM

I like my Winchester but haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with it yet.[:@]

Steve
Old 12-08-2004, 03:31 PM

i would have to go with the Remington 870. I hunt with a large group in Iowa and everyone has and 870. some of the guys have experimented with other guns but keep going back to the 870.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

I love my mossberg 500 with the riffled barrel it is more than capable out to 125 plus yards some people claim 200 isn't out of the question but it is for me
Old 12-08-2004, 04:37 PM

I Like my rem 1100 i just killed a deer monday the rangefinder said 107yds remington coppersolid went right thru he didnt go anywhere.
let us know what you decide.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM

Remington 870 Express w/ a 20 fully rifled cantilevered barrel or an 870 deer gun. put some good glass on it and its good to probably 150 with good sabot slugs.I wouldnt touch a mossberg. In our group in Iowa, there are only a handful of non-870 shooters. My uncle has an Abolt shotgun, which i guess is just as good, as they're deadly accurate, and another guy has an 11-87 deer gun. i think one benelli m1 and a mossberg round out the non 870's. remington 870 is the best pump action shotgun every made.

slayer

Quick Reply: Mossberg, Winchester, Remington? Best Deer Shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.