HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Opinions On Tree Climber? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81846-opinions-tree-climber.html)

WantBuck 12-07-2004 10:58 PM

Opinions On Tree Climber?

This will be first my climber and I don't really know whats out there.I've read a few people say they like the Summit Viper X4.I've looked through Cabelas and Bass Pro shops and found a bunch that looked good and comfortable.I'm just going to make a list of the ones I thought looked good and let you guys tell me what you think.Theirs quite a few and thats the reason i'm having trouble with my decision so bare with me.

Meg Bucks Python
Summit Cobra X4
Summit Viper X4
Ol'Man
BarkBiter Shooter Elite(I thought this one looked real nice)
API Grand Slam Extreme
Camanche Cable Climber

I'm definatly going to get one,I just need you guys to help me narrow it down to one now.I'm going to just scratch them off as we go.
If I missed one that should be considered feel free to mention.

Thanks,
JE

SeaHunter 12-08-2004 09:00 AM

RE: Opinions On Tree Climber?

I looked for one with a thick and soft seat cushion, padded back support and a bar for sitting on while climbing and. I spent a few extra bucks and got the viper X4 and it was worth it. The only thing I'd like to see improved is the adjustablity of the cables if it had twice as many notches on the cable I think it would be perfect. right now I get it close and use the adjustable seat straps to level out the seat.

The cobra is nice but I like having the bar infront of me for a gun rest plus it just feels safer.

Buckmasterflex 12-08-2004 09:08 AM

I have a nice climber but I can't really remember the name, it is very comfortable though I think it is a Black Hawk....

BowHuntingFool 12-08-2004 11:04 AM

I went with the most room! For me it was the Hunter View, Eagle or Hawk. Its lightweight and has a big platform! Plus there is room on the sides when I am seated and then stand for a shot, I don't have to wedge my way thru it = quiet! Especially with my foul weather gear on. Its pretty simple to use as well. I always ratchet my top/seat to the tree just becase of stability. I got it real cheap at Gander for like $110(clearence) so I was like if I don't like it or feel safe I'll try another, it's been 5 years now! Good luck and wear a harnass!

I like the new Ameristep climbers, just seen the TV ads but it looks pretty good! It also ratchets to the tree! Lokks good for trees with weird angles!

WantBuck 12-08-2004 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: SeaHunter

I looked for one with a thick and soft seat cushion, padded back support and a bar for sitting on while climbing and. I spent a few extra bucks and got the viper X4 and it was worth it. The only thing I'd like to see improved is the adjustablity of the cables if it had twice as many notches on the cable I think it would be perfect. right now I get it close and use the adjustable seat straps to level out the seat.

The cobra is nice but I like having the bar infront of me for a gun rest plus it just feels safer.
I agree with having a bar in front.I did'nt really notice that it did'nt have on etill you mentioned.Thats one scratched from the list.

BowHuntingFool,where can I look at a Eagle or Hawk stand?I saw you got yours from Gander but i'm not familiar with them.Can you send me a link or something?

Anybody tried this stand or see anything they could comment on?http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20712
Thanks ,
JE

WantBuck 12-08-2004 12:00 PM

Ooops,I tried to make that a link.Anyways it's the Brutus BarkBiter Shooter Elite.Go to Cabelas and you will see it.
JE

ironranger 12-08-2004 12:13 PM

I was looking at the Summit Viper and others but went to Cabela's and saw the Summit Bushmaster X4 which had what I was looking for. It has the plastic foot stirrups that I wanted plus a bungee that goes in front of them. I wanted a light climber and I think it weighs 18 lbs. Just got it this fall and have been happy with it thus far. I can put my pack inside of it and the foot rest holds it snug, it's light so I can get back farther in without killing my back, I found the clips were hard on my feet so I took some plumbing pipe foam and slid it over stirrups, I'm able to climb very easily with it, and I can get up and move around in the stand to prepare for shots with no problem as the front is open. It lacks the gun rest and has an open front but it more than makes up for it in portability and ease of being able to position for a shot. I shot my first deer with a bow this fall in it (Doe) and just shot an 8 point buck Sunday night with a muzzleloader. Thus far I'm happy with it and although most would consider it a bow hunting stand I found it very comfortable to sit in and will use it for rifle/muzzleloader too.

timbercruiser 12-08-2004 12:16 PM

Another one that is cheaper and very easy to climb with and is comfortable is the Buckshot. I have a Viper and it is very comfortable.

KentuckyBuck 12-08-2004 03:57 PM

WantBuck,
I bought a MegaBucks Python from Cabela's recently, and it broke while I was climbing with it. I am going to return it, and I would suggest purchasing another Summit model.

WantBuck 12-08-2004 04:54 PM

I appreciate that KentuckyBuck.Hearing that definatley scratches it off the list for me.

Anybody else have any info on the stands above?I really need the help.You guys are the only hunters I know to talk too so please help.