HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Driving funnels, killer dear tactic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81818-driving-funnels-killer-dear-tactic.html)

Twong-on 12-07-2004 06:50 PM

Driving funnels, killer dear tactic

Ive been bow and shot gun hunting with 3 other guys for about 3 years. every sunday we drive small patches of woods and funnels. usual these funnels are made up of rich well to do cluster communities that border rivers, fields and other larger and smaller nieborhoods, power line and highways. Some of the nicest bucks Ive seen came from these drives. A ten pointer, 188lbs from Durham NH during shot gun. I got an 11 pointer, 220lbs along a highway and power lines in Rochester NH during muzzleloader season. what I'd like to know is if anyone else enjoys this tactic

jhalfhill 12-07-2004 06:58 PM

RE: Driving funnels, killer dear tactic

yeah i've seen anywhere from 10-20 deer come out of the smallest patches. When the deer get pressured by hunters they go hide in little places like that close to civilization

mauser06 12-07-2004 07:37 PM

all the time.....thats how i been hunting the last 2 years mostly.....getting together with the guys and driving......when the group is large we stick to the big woods.....and see less deer...but when the group is small we sneal right behind the houses and hit the little ditches that a few guys will cover good and noone will complain about us being there.....lands not posted...but you get 20 guys marching through parking all around it with big trucks and such they will complain and such...so we hit the small areas when we can....thats where we get most of our deer....saturday is my last day to rifle hunt....im hoping noone shows up at the farm except a few of us....just so we can hit these little spots....if not..late flintlock season we got TONS of these spots t drive....cant use rifles in the one county..but flinters are legal.....and ALOT of MONSTERS live there right behind the houses in the little nasty ditches....we call them "killing ditches"...little ravines.....that go down into a little pice of woods.....we get the drivers to go through the little wood lot and the deer go through the ravine.....fields, houses and roads all around it....they want to stay in the cover as long as they can......great way to get the deer.......alot of fun too.......stinks to miss or mess up...because all the guys are there to ride you about it...but its a good time....and effective way to get deer that normally youd never see.....or if you hunt the little pieces of woods you have to be perfect on your set up....cant make a noise on the way in or leave a hint of scent or your hunt is over....driving works alot better.....

cardeer 12-08-2004 12:51 AM

I love funnels,and funnel cake