Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 "Something moved...and he fired." >

"Something moved...and he fired."

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Something moved...and he fired."

Old 12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: "Something moved...and he fired."

Obviously this kid wasn't paying attention when he took his hunting safety course ,or he would have learned that you don't shoot at what you can't identify.The same thing happened in Nov here in Ontario about 20 miles from me, and this guy was in there 60's and he shot a guy who was 76 . He shot at movement just at daybreak or maybe slightly before daybreak,there's no need for these type of accident's .

nubo
Old 12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know of two other cases where one brother killed the other while hunting. One was a duck hunting accident when a shotgun went off striking the brother. The other was a bow hunting accident that sound much like this one. One brother shot at a noise in the brush and killed his brother. Niether of the surviving boys will ever be the same again and the trajedy will live on forever. You just don't fire until you are triple positive of your target and the background. I pray for the lords help for the family.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM

Where was dad? This is beyond words. It is too late to lay blame but young hunters can not be given free reign with a firearm. My heart goes out to the boy who made the shot.
I won't sleep peacefully tonight.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:31 PM

thats truly sad!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 PM

we must teach these kids
NO DEER IS WORTH A HUMAN LIFE- make sure of your target

charges wont bring him back,thats like locking the gate after the horse is gone-the family has suffered enough

I pray GOD brings peace to this family

I didnt allow my son to hunt until he was 15 because he just wasnt ready yet- not careful enough
and even tho he hated me for it --it was the RIGHT decision at 19 he hunts with care and safety
and respect
Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 AM

Thats sad. Whenever i walk up to someone like my uncle i cough or make a kind of noise that he can hear and know it isnt a deer but nothing that is too loud.

Tim
Old 12-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunter safety is what ten hours long? How about teaching kids about gun safety from the first time they see one. It's our job to teach our kids about gun safety and the woods not the states. My son could have passed his hunters safety test the minute he walked in to the class.If you don't teach a kid every time he out in the woods about gun safety how effective is a hunter ed course going to be?

Authorities were continuing their investigation Monday to see whether the boys' hunt was under adult supervision, Harrington said. State law requires deer hunters under the age of 14 to have adult supervision.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:33 PM

Sad sorry sounds like they needed an adult with them.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

I really hate to hear about things like this. My heart goes out to the family. As others have said, hunters ed is a good thing, but it isn't nearly enough. I started hunting with a rifle (on stand by myself) at age 9, while many will argue that's too young, I assure you my 'Ole man had put me through the ringer with gun safety from the time I could talk and understand what was being told to me. He has a way of making sure you know EXACTLY what he expects. I knew not to touch a gun unless told to do so, and I also knew the penalty for messing up. My dad trusted me more than any other hunting buddy he had. That was in part due to my maturity when handling firearms and knowing the penalty for messing up. I passed up a lot of deer because of not knowing what was beyond the target. If my dad hadn't drilled me so hard on safety, I may have shot my cousin when my thumb slipped off the hammer of my 30-30. That event shook me up so bad, I didn't go hunting that day. The point I'm trying to make is, we as hunters have to make sure those we bring into the sport realize the responsibilty that comes along with it. We must take the responsibility to correct anything we see being done wrong by fellow hunters and not turn a blind eye in fear of making someone mad. (Like the hunting buddy that carries a gun off safe) I'd much rather they be mad at me than have to be attending a funeral especially my own.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 AM

Dalton Baty loved to tease and play pranks, and that MAY have cost the 11-year-old boy his life.
Ummm...it MAY have cost his life?? WTF??

Quick Reply: "Something moved...and he fired."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.