Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 "Something moved...and he fired." >

"Something moved...and he fired."

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Something moved...and he fired."

Old 12-07-2004, 09:48 AM

Default "Something moved...and he fired."

From the Wichita Eagle, Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2004

"Dalton Baty loved to tease and play pranks, and that may have cost the 11-year-old boy his life. Dalton was accidentally shot by his brother, 13, early Sunday evening as they hunted for deer on their grandmother's land a mile east of Elk Falls in Elk County. He was declared dead at the scene.

[link]http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/10356652.htm[/link]

Damn it.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:01 AM

Default RE: "Something moved...and he fired."

Thats terrible. I have an 11 y/o daughter and can't imagine how I would feel if something happened to her, especially in a situation such as this one. Sounds like a lack of adult supervision or hunting safety training. I took my daughter hunting with me once this year and I was constantly telling her about safety. I dont know how many times I had to tell her to walk behind me or next to me.
Y'all keep a close eye on your kids and drill safety,safety,safety into their heads.

Steve
Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I can't express enough the importance of hunter education courses. I'm glad here you have to pass the course to get a license. Is the same requirement nationwide? Unfortunately if you don't continue that education at home and teach your kids to be safe hunters then these things can happen. I hope we don't hear about any more tragedies like this.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:36 AM

Wow, What a tragedy. My heart goes out to all those involved.

I'm a bit suprised to see the age when children can hunt alone is 14. In Maine it's 16 and although only a two year diffrence in age IMO it a world of diffrence in maturity. Hunters safty is a great program. Drill it in their heads while they're young and they'll take it with them a lifetime.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

OH MY
Old 12-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not good!!!!! This is very sad.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is very sad, it sounds like that they were under adult supervison and someone will get a ticket. I can not wait for my son to go with me but I will make sure that he looked after and he knows and passes the hunter safety corse.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:16 AM

That's very sad.
Shows the importance of getting your Orange Card, or hunter education training.
Bless that kid.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:19 AM

Really Really sad. . . .Just kills me that this poor boys parents thought it was OK to let a 13 year old hunt with even younger playmates running with him.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats terrible []

Quick Reply: "Something moved...and he fired."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.