Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 "Something moved...and he fired." >

"Something moved...and he fired."

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Something moved...and he fired."

Old 12-29-2004, 03:32 PM

Default RE: "Something moved...and he fired."

Jessie
I know i'm not alone when I send all my prayers to you and your family from many folks here. There are many who will help. I'd get on a plane tonight if there is something I can do. Briar is in denial as anyone would be. I believe your father is to.Please keep trying to reach Briar, he needs your help. Let us know what we can do. Offline tonight but back tomorrow am.

Peace and Strength be with you and yours.

Wyatt
Old 12-29-2004, 03:55 PM

Tragic, tragic, tragic...and the waters just seem to become muddier. There's no simple solutions here...I wish I had some magic words.

A couple of things though, to the hunter who acknowledged that they sometimes 'cough' to alert a hunting partner who isn't aware of their presence...NEVER DO THAT! Studies have shown that movements (waves), audible noises, throat clearings, whistles, coughs, and the like have led to numerous 'mistaken for game' incidents. Only the human voice should be uttered/shouted to alert nearby hunters.

Next, perhaps fear of the dark, becoming startled, or the fear of the unknown led to the lad's fatal and instantaneous decision to shoot...sadly.

As far as recommendation to the family (baty15jessica), this is all so very sad...my heart goes out to you. It remains an accident...tragic as it is. We all wish we could change it, but alas...we cannot. Unfortunately, your father doesn't seem to be capable of helping your family much throughout this ordeal, and it is a life altering ordeal.

Much like a previous poster alluded to, I too was hunting on my own from age nine, my dad grilled me on tripping/falling with the muzzle of my toy gun (plastic at age 4-5) to always be pointed in a safe direction while hunting with him, placing that toy gun safely in/out of the vehicle was also fundamental. Years later, I wasn't permitted to carry real firearms (loaded) until he had 'set me up' in my spot to stationary hunt. He put me through the ringer and slapped the crap out of me more than once. Firearms safety really became evident while upland bird hunting with birds frequently busting out between hunters/dogs...it's not an overnight lesson but rather ingrained. The worst aspect of the sport we love is that there is rarely if ever a second chance or a 'do over'...I wish there were.

If it's any consolation, I can only hope that your dad spent a great deal of time teaching your brother firearm safety, age isn't everything...as I happen to know more unsafe adults than I do young people. Let your brother know we understand and support him, for there's nobody who will ever feel worse than him. Encourage him to pay close attention to his counselors and in time...learn to forgive himself and to become a champion.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:07 PM

Hello, This the mother of Jessica, Briar, Charly. and Dalton,
I want to first say thanks for all your thoughts. I know Brent better then he knows himself and I know that if one of my kids came running to me and said Dalton has been shot the first thing I would do is ask where he is not accuse him of killing him so that he is scared off and then I can't find him to see if he needs help, when the police arrived an hour later the boys where gone and it took another 30 mins. to find the boys and then another 45 mins. to walk to where Dalton was. To me I agree Brent may have been upset but there would be nothing standing in the way of helping my son. But, he didnt he just assumed that Dalton was dead he didnt know that until that was determined. The fact that Brents mom, Dalton's so called grandma accused and placed blame on Dalton be the result of his own death is so upsetting that It bothers me that she even has the oppertunity to be around my son Briar, He needs his mother and it is sad to know that Iam still not allowed to be there for him. Brent never even let me see my son's is what hurt and knowing that my son Briar needs me and his sisters. Brent wont let him around us. Last year the SRS found four counts of child abuse on Brent yet nothing was done. Theres alot of blame here. Jessica, is smart because I never stop pushing and letting her know that she is I also have an other daughter that is just as smart. Briar, needs to have the same oppertunities as the girls do. If you want to help don't stop teaching your children and dont let them do things that need your supervision on these sort of things and the use of a fire arms is something that even as an adult you need constant reminders of whats safe and whats not.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Thats as sad as it gets! What a shame! I feel sick just thinking about it! I'm a father of five and My kids will have safty first drilled into thier heads over and over! To the rest of the family hang in there. It sounds like you all have a lot on your plates besides this tragic event! Stick together and be supportive of each other. You can and will get through this! As tragic as this accident is it's important to remember that it was an accident. It could happen to most people. There should have been some adult supervision there to keep those young minds on a level playing field! Boys will be boys and we ALL make mistakes. To the 13 year old who did the shooting. Nobody thinks you did this on purpose and we all feel very bad for your loss! Don't carry guilt or blame. This is not a perfect world and bad things happen to good people! Learn from it and do your best to be all you can be in life. Dalton would want that as I'm sure the rest of your family and friends do. Good luck to all of you!!! .. Jim
Old 12-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jessica,

You seem like a very mature and level-headed young lady. We are all very sorry for the all the circumstances that you are involved with. If what you are saying about your father's abuse and him calling your brother a fag and you and your sister sluts is true than he does not deserve the rewarding piece of his life that would involve a continued relationship with his children. Not unless there was an honest to goodness change in him. there is no excuse for any kind of abuse. I hope that you will have the courage to voice your overall concern for your brother with adults who do care and can help him and you. our prayers go out to you. please let us know if we can do anything we can do
Hb--chad
Old 12-29-2004, 04:30 PM

I hope there will be no more of them as well. He was my son and it has taken me in to a life that I don't seem to want to be a part of. Not only has Dalton be taken from me forever but I never got to spend anytime with him since my divoce because the father wouldnt let me so it more then losing a son for me not to mention my son Briar whom his father wont let me see even now is something I have a hard time facing. My feeling of is he safe doesnt seem to let me rest at all.
A mother
Old 12-29-2004, 07:10 PM

I hope you never have to feel the pain I have had to face with all of this. I loved my son very much and I miss him so very much. Dalton, was ten years old though. He won't get to see eleven not. But, thank you for the thoughts.
TB Daltons' MOM
Old 12-29-2004, 07:13 PM

To KANSASDEERHUNTER, I agree with you you should never stop training it doen't matter if you pass or not, we send men/woman to war and they get more then ten hours of trainng. I understand that they dont have more then that but, they need refresher course every year at least for children and adults should be at least every two to three. You can never have enough training when Guns are involved.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:47 PM

God bless, Jessica...hang in there and know that there are an awful lot of people who do care that you don't even know.

You sound like a special young lady - stay that way, okay? And onebullet makes a heap of sense...think about what he/she says, okay?

Take care of yourself; be strong, but let go, too.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: defendwihunters

God bless, Jessica...hang in there and know that there are an awful lot of people who do care that you don't even know.

You sound like a special young lady - stay that way, okay? And onebullet makes a heap of sense...think about what he/she says, okay?

Take care of yourself; be strong, but let go, too.
i am just a dude who cares

mom did you get the private e mail i sent to jess? if you send those names to that e-address
i will help and so will the guys and gals here

MAN you guys/gals are terriffic
keep lettin em know we care
GOD BLESS

Quick Reply: "Something moved...and he fired."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.