HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   "Something moved...and he fired." (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81750-something-moved-he-fired.html)

baty15jessica 12-29-2004 01:24 PM

RE: "Something moved...and he fired."

I am the 15 year old sister of Dalton Baty, the one who was shot, and also the one who shot him. I would like everyone to know, that we all grew up around firearms, my whole life I have been around hunting,fishing, guns, and everything else. We all knew to not just shoot at something, but Briar did and he is having to pay for that in his own way. Also, my dad was no where around, and I place the blame on him, because they were too young to be out there alone. Also, Dalton was not out hunting with them at the time, he was sent out to look for them after dark.. So, the father and his girlfriend, sent a TEN year old boy out to look for two other minors who had loaded guns in the dark. Another thing..Dalton was 10 not 11..........

Jessica Baty

onebullet 12-29-2004 01:32 PM

thanks for clearing that up jessica- our thoughts and prayers are with all of you..

carry him in your heart -not on your shoulders

and may God bring peace to your family

are you ok? need to talk? we do care!

baty15jessica 12-29-2004 01:53 PM

I think I'm okay, but thanks for asking. I just wanted everyone to know his age, and that Briar wasn't an amature hunter and everything. My dad should have been with them, and never should have sent a 10 year old to look for his brother who had a loaded gun, that is neglect. The father doesnt even follow the rules himself, and tried to tell me that you can hunt how ever you want as long as you dont get caught, so all around my dad is who I blame. I know it is too late to blame, but it isn't too late to help Briar out. Also, to...SMOKSTER.. that was my dad's mom who said that the pranks Dalton played cost him his life...Well, we all KNEW not to play around loaded guns.. and Dalton doesn't play that many pranks.. He was a normal 10 year old who goofed around, it wasn't his pranks that may have cost him his life.. it was his father who sent him out lookin for two MINORS with loaded guns after dark without any supervision.

Jessica Baty

onebullet 12-29-2004 01:57 PM

jessica i am sure your dad feels terrible about it and i understand you being upset with him, how is your brother briar doing?

is he getting any counseling?
can your family afford it?

tell us we are here to help!

baty15jessica 12-29-2004 02:06 PM

I wish I could say that my dad feels terrible, but he is blaming it on Briar, and he told me that Dalton's dead soo just move on with it.. He is constantly blaming it on Briar.. and Briar isn't doing so well.. He wont talk to anyone, he's pretty much played it off like it didnt' happen... At first he wanted to talk to my dad about it, but my dad would just say that he didn't have a right to talk about it because he was the one who killed him.. My dad has always been like that.. He gave up all rights to me and my little sister when we moved in with my mom.. and he called Dalton a fag all the time.. and still tells Briar he is stupid ... So, my dad (as a dad) probably feels a little bit of sadness b/c he did lose a son.. but he is a jerk.. and doesnt really care about anything and wont help Briar threw this. And see, I'm not really upset with him because of the death, I'm upset with him because he isn't helping Briar out and briar needs it.. Dalton is no longer here, and I cant change that.. but Briar is.. and he is hurt more...
Jessie

baty15jessica 12-29-2004 02:11 PM

OH, and yes.. We are getting counseling.. Dad is only taking Briar everynow and then.. btu he is telling him not to say anything to them.. so he isn't gettin any help/....lol and yeah.. we can afford counseling

onebullet 12-29-2004 02:12 PM

oh man- give me a second here jessica:(

what do you think will help
your brother?

do you think mom will try for custody now?

maybe i am wrong but i think briar needs to get out of there!!
i dont see any good come from him staying with his dad at this point in time
if dads telling him not to say anything

briars acting as if nothing happened is just a safety mechanism built into all of us to keep one from losing it at that moment- he will be like that till HE is ready to deal with it.

come on guys respond am i wrong?

baty15jessica 12-29-2004 02:39 PM

Yes, I think that my dad losing custody of Briar and him movin here will help alot.. I mean, where they live right now, is right infront of where Dalton was shot. That is another major factor that could be influencing Briar.. I mean, he used to tell me everythign..and now all he tells me is he doesn't wanna leave dad b/c he's all dad has.. and when I lived with my dad.. He told me that if I left he would kill himself.. but when I left he just doesn't want ne thing to do with me and calls me and my 12 year old sister a slut.. So, shows how much he wanted us.. But now he's doing that with Briar.. and Briar doesn't wanna leave dad b/c he knows inside of him that with Dalton being gone.. there is really no one else for dad.... Dad used to go to the Elk Falls bridge and say he would jump if we left him.. but I moved in with mom b/c Dad was and is abusive also.. He doesn't deserve to have Briar.. He wouldn't even let Dalton come and see us.. and now he's gone forever.. I dont want that to happen to Briar.. and I'm scared that if dad doesn't get him help he could turn suicidal.. and then I'll lose another brother!..I'm sure you've read the articles about the death, and I believe that is was neglect.. and having all the other stuff in the path.. this should open up a doorway to get BRiar away from my dad
JEssie

onebullet 12-29-2004 02:53 PM

jess- been down that road of suicide myself -your dad needs help, hard to believe someone smart as you can have such a bad father-maybe thats how you got that way

tell briar from me that dad is not going to commit suicide if he leaves- its a ploy for attention
and believe it or not your dad does feel the loss of his son and doesnt know how -or want to deal with it.
some people never take responsibility for their own actions - its always someone elses fault

if there is ANYTHING i can do let me know
Gods peace to you and yours
sam

kshunter 12-29-2004 03:13 PM

Prayers go out to you. I've been to you Elk Falls a few times, I live just on the other side of the state. Seems I along with a lot of my buddies started out hunting way before the ages of 10. In towns like that there isn't a lot to do except hunt and fish. Sounds like a bad accident that rather than somebody goofing off. A bad deal all around, not sure what else to say. Let us know if you need to talk to someone or if we can help in any way.