HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ethical question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81612-ethical-question.html)

xd9x19 12-06-2004 09:25 AM

Ethical question

Got a question about a hunting situation I encountered this weekend. My son and I had just started driving back home when we spotted 3 does out in a field about 100 yards from the road. Since he hasn't bagged a deer yet (we're starting our 3rd season), he was dying for me to stop and let him get out on the side of the road and try for one. It was still twenty minutes or so before the legal "quittin' time", but I wasn't sure if this was an ethical situation. Barring any hunting regulations about how far you have to be from a road (I know it's 150 feet over in AR, where I go snow goose hunting), what do you guys think about such a situation? There was a small ditch between the road and field, so he would have been able to lay down and use the ground for a rest. Also, while this road is probably a county road, it's really just used for farmers to access the surrounding fields. On more days than not, you'd win if you bet you wouldn't see or hear another car on the road while hunting.

**** Just realized this sounded like a complete newbie question. We were STILL on the land that we have permission to hunt. It would have definitely been out of the question had we not still been on the land we have permission to hunt. *****

bob d 12-06-2004 09:32 AM

RE: Ethical question

to good . do you have pemission to hunt the land ? what does it teach your son ,to road hunt?? tell him to be patient it will happen

Roost em 1st 12-06-2004 09:35 AM

Not the memory I would want my son to carry for his life. His first deer should be a day he remembers with pride. 3 years is a long time especially a youngster to hunt with no success but when it happens it will be sweet. I took a 13 year old under my wing several years ago and he had the same situation and wanted to do the same. I refused to stop the truck. He took a doe 3 days later with a nice shot at about 80 yards from the stand. His 270 dropped the doe in her tracks. Naturally as we waited a buck appeared and you are not allowed to shoot two in one day where we hunt so he had to watch the little 6 pt cross the field unharmed[:o] I don't think he'll ever forget that day.

Georgetownboys 12-06-2004 09:46 AM

I would have to pass on those. Sorry. . .

avid_bowhunter2005 12-06-2004 09:51 AM

agree with Bob on this one guys
;)

hunter60 12-06-2004 10:19 AM

I would also pass. It just wouldn't seem like hunting. When I was 13 my dad & I almost got shot by a road person I won't call them hunters.

FL/GA Hunter 12-06-2004 10:54 AM

Ethically, if you're hunting on land that's yours to hunt, shooting a deer that's out and about is OK. Now, ethics aside, I wouldn't have stopped the truck - like everybody else is saying, that's not a memory I'd want as the kid or as the adult.

OntElk 12-06-2004 11:03 AM

If you're off the road and you have permission or it's your land then it's a legal kill sure but I'm with the others. It seems like a long time and he may lose patience but that would be a real crappy first deer story. I waited 4 years for my first. Now that I have shot a few more I forgot all about that frustrating first few years.

onebullet 12-06-2004 11:11 AM

gotta agree with the others, we set the example and if we strain it a little and then they strain it a little on and on-- the first one never leaves your memory
------------------------------------------------------
i dont like temptation it makes me wanna do things[8D]

Pa Trophy Man 12-06-2004 12:34 PM

Don't raise a road hunter. Please don't raise a road hunter...