Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The 10Pt wins this time

Old 12-06-2004, 07:17 AM

Default The 10Pt wins this time

After a slow season in Hill country, 1 spike and 2 boars, I spent yet another long sit up in my chair getting wet this weekend. I have been out every weekend since 10/31 and even a mid week hunt or 2 and this year has been tough here. Lots of rain the moon and warm weather have all played a roll this year. Waiting for Deer this year to drive by a feeder is not happening. Only the young ones have been anywhere near feeders this fall.
So Sunday morning after sitting for 3 hours in the rain, the front blows through and I figure it is time for a walk. As soon as I get down off my chair, 14ft up under an Oak tree views out to about 400 yards, the wind and rain stops. I walked to peek at some of the trails I have seen good buck traffic on in the past and things started a bit slow. But when I was headed back to the Gator I saw a nice set of white tines sticking up through the brush at about 200yards. So I found some brush to hind in and waited for a better view, I start to get a better look and yepo a nice bleached 10P.t with 8 inch G-2 very even both sides, not alot of mass but for around here a shooter for sure. He was headed down a trail that was quartering towards me. at about 150yards he can clear and offered me a nice broadside opportunity. I had no rest and was unable to take a clear shot from a sit so I had to take him free hand, Not typically an issue but, who knows. Safely goes off cross hairs look good let's queeze this one off, BOOM, he jumps 5 feet, does not know where it came from runs down the trail another 30 yards and stops one more time. Gives me a broadside look and there is no blood, what the $%@!. I load another round and he is now only at 100yards, another perfect broadside, BOOM. Off he goes. A blind man would have hit this guy. I am now thinking that I must be loosing my marbles. I walk over to check for any sign of a hit and of course find nothing at the first spot, except the hoof prints where he jumped and about 10 feet behind him the spot where my round plowed into the dirt. The shot went under him at 150yards, thats 2 feet low. I then walk to the other spot and still find no sign of a hit, Duh, but look anyway. Find this time where the second shot ripped through a bush below the Buck, also 2 feet low. [:@][:@]

Tha's it Im done. . . packed it up. . . headed home. . .goning to the range this afternnon to see, hope, the gun is off. If it was me I better get thing figured out. I have in the past tended to yank the trigger when shotting at big ones and that had caused me a 4 inch pull to the right at 100yards but not sure how I could be causing the barrel to drop so much when I fire. who knows.

I'll be watching this trail close for the reat of the season. I have seen 3 nice bucks now on this same stretch.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:38 PM

Default RE: The 10Pt wins this time

Sounds to me like BUCK FEVER
Old 12-06-2004, 09:09 PM

Default RE: The 10Pt wins this time

I would deffinetlly check the gun and then get someone to kick my A$$.[&:].
sorry for your loss.[&:]