Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What could I have done?

Old 12-05-2004, 06:58 PM

Default What could I have done?

Missed an opportunity at the biggest buck of my life so far this morning. It was muggy - rained the night before. Temps in the mid 60's, humidity was 100%. I was hunting out of my Brickhouse ground blind which was saturated (windows were off). at 7:05am I saw him through my binoculars at 250 yds as clear as could be. When I picked up my rifle and looked through the scope - all I saw was a white glare. Condensation had formed on my objective lens. I wiped the lens off with my finger and tried to relocate the deer -- couldn't. Put my rifle down and glassed through my bino's -- found him immediately. Picked up my rifle again -- same problem -- I could barely see his body through the scope, but the condensation prevented me from getting a good focus on him. This was repeated two more times - with the same result. He presented good shots for a full three minutes while I could do nothing but panick[&o]. I had placed my rifle outside the night before without the scope covers on to let the scope acclimate to the ambient temperature and humidity. The lense on the scope is kept immaculately clean with a lense pen - no dust was on the lenses. The scope was clear when I arrived at the blind. The scope is a Leupold VXIII, the binoculars were leupold cascades. What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future? How come my binoculars were crystal clear, but the scope condensated? Could the problem have been that while inside the blind my body temperature raised the temp. of the air inside the blind which made the condesation form on my lense? Could I carry alcohol wipes with me, and if I noticed this problem occurring, wipe the lenses with alcohol? I am very frustrated and depressed right now -- sorry for the long post. Just looking for answers. Please suggest something.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:22 PM

Default RE: What could I have done?

What a heartache...of course, two hundred and fifty yards is no chip shot but I understand your chagrin.

I haven't encountered that problem with quality scopes (which you possess), but my binocs always let me down under similar conditions...can't afford $500.00-$1500.00 for the good ones. Perhaps a seal broke? In any event (no consolation btw), demand Leupold replace that scope!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:28 PM

Got a couple questions for you. Do you wear your binocs around your neck and possibly inside a jacket or coat? That would keep the binocs warmer than the ambient temp and keep them from fogging. Same thing with your scope, it seems it is colder than the ambient temp. somehow, get the temp of your scope warmer than that ambient temp. Warm the ends with your hands, or even use a "hot hands" to warm it up some. It's the same thing as glasses. when they are warm and you go out, they don't fog. but if they are cold and you go into a warm house, they will fog. Your scope works the same way. Other than that, I'd hate to say it but you could have lost the inert gas inside of your scope, heaven forbid.

Russ
Old 12-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

I had this happen to me once and it think its from your breath, the warm air from breathing causes it. id check it out while not on stand and see what happens.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:38 PM

The scope is brand new - less than 6 months old. Yes - my bio's are worn around my neck - but wen I took them out of their case - they had condesation on those too - but as soon as light came - they were fine. I rested the gun stock-down laying against the side of the blind (objective lense up). I have always trusted Leupold in the past - the condensation was definitely on the outside of the lenses. I have always assumed that fogproof means that a scope won't fog on the inside of the lenses, but could very possibly form on the outside - especially if there are fingerprints on them or the humidity is high - or am I wrong on this? Someone told me that there is a fog-proof spray that you can treat your lenses with to prevent this from occurring, but I'm not sure if it would affect the multi-coatings on the lenses.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:44 PM

Here's a little trick I use on some cold, foggy mornings. I lay my scope and gun under my hand muff next to my belly. There's just enough warmth to help hold off any fogging. Be careful that you don't breathe on that back lens in the excitement of taking aim at that big buck. LOL
(I was raised in northern Ill and a foggy morning can really fog up a scope.)
Old 12-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buy yourself some Butler Creek flip up scope covers, this will keep the moisture from contacting or forming on the lens surface it should also keep the lense surface slightly warmer than the outside or air temp. As mentioned foggy or condensation appears when the lense surface goes from cool to warm not vice versa.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:17 PM

I too think you might have breathed on it , had it happen to me , your breathe on it , can't see , wipe it , search some , fog it up again,,aghhhhhhh... he's gone!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:31 AM

I too use the Butler Creek flip up scope covers. The front of my nikon scope has a clear flip up so I don't have to flip it up. The back is the standard black with thumb button.

I really like the clear because I can get the gun up quckly and not have to worry about reaching for the front cover. When it rains I pop it up and have a crystal clear lense to see through. These are probably the best investment to my A-Bolt set up.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for Butler Creek. I found that in cold weather the moisture from my eyes will fog up my Leupold binocs. With a scope the eye relief should prevent that. Sorry to hear about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.