HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   did I miss ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81436-did-i-miss.html)

johnl 12-04-2004 05:18 PM

did I miss ?

this morning I shot at a deer and it mule kicked and ran off thinking I made a good hit I waited 15 min climed out of my treestand and went looking for blood no blood no hair nothing tried to follow his tracks still no blood did a grid search for 3 hours and still nothing I always thought that a mule kick meant a good hit am I wrong ?

JerseyJim 12-04-2004 06:28 PM

RE: did I miss ?

A mule kick usually means a hit! I shot a small 5 point once that jumped up and mule kicked. He ran about 20 yards and dropped just out of site. When I got to where I shot him there was no blood or hair either! When I found him there wasn't much blood there either but there he was dead as a door nail! Sometimes the bleeding is done on the inside!

Trustee 12-04-2004 06:52 PM

Maybe you shot at a mule!??!!?

johnch 12-04-2004 07:04 PM

I shot a nice buck several years ago at 100 feet . I new i had hit it in the lungs with the pistol. I had no blood trail to follow ,just a few hairs. I walked over the hill and saw it close to a 1/4 mile out in the feild . The shot had taken out both lungs and broke the off shoulder ending up just under the skin . It was a very FAT doe .

beaglefreak 12-04-2004 08:46 PM

What are you shooting?I used to use buckshot here in Jersey until I lost a 170 or 180 class buck after hitting him good in an open field about 40 yds twice.NO BLOOD,NO HAIR,NO NOTHING!!!Dead deer period!!
That was the second time that happend and the last.I went out and bought a Hastings rifled barrel with a decent scope,I`m shooting 1 1/4 oz Lightfields and there is no question about finding sign when I hit`em.
I lost only 2 deer in my life and both were due to Buckshot.[Yes my gun patterns pretty good with 1`s and 00 buck]
So what caliber are you using and bullet?I`t sounds like a dead deer to me!!

Tree climber 12-05-2004 06:04 AM

yes you hit the deer,they don't just kick for no reason.you need to do a better look,he is there somewhere. hope you luck,it is a bad feeling to know you hit and can't find.
good luck on your search.

johnl 12-05-2004 12:35 PM

beagle freak I use a 12 ga riffled barrel lightfeild 2 3/4 sabots the deer was about 95 yards out when I shot

MDManiac 12-05-2004 01:04 PM

95 yards with a shotgun!? wowzers...

ORIGINAL: johnch

I shot a nice buck several years ago at 100 feet .
It was a very FAT doe .
???

mauser06 12-05-2004 02:28 PM

id keep looking.....dad hit a small doe at about 30yds with a 3006 with ballistic tips...quartering toward shot....bullet passed right though...deer ran off.....dad KNEW he didnt miss....but no blood or anything..little hair i think.....luckily the leaves were wet and the deer left a trail as it ran off....75yds away laid the little doe....i couldnt believe he found it...thought for sure he missed......get out there and find it....its probably there somewhere.....but no hair or anything? you posative you went RIGHT where it was at when you shot?? a slug will cut a lot of hair id imagine.....?? good luck finding it

jerseyhunter 12-05-2004 03:44 PM

95 yards with a shotgun!? wowzers...

My farthest was 110 yds. Many people have shot longer.

Hit one once in the brisket and it mule kicked, got out of the tree and followed for about 75 yds, it was in sight the whole time, was about to shoot again when this other hunter who had shot 12 times at the same herd wacked it with bucksot. Don't have the time right now to go into that one.[:@]