HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Anyone ever have to bring a deer home with out a truck? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81309-anyone-ever-have-bring-deer-home-out-truck.html)

SeaHunter 12-03-2004 10:20 AM

Anyone ever have to bring a deer home with out a truck?

For the first time since i've been driving I don't own a pickup. My buddy told me i'm welcome to hunt anytime I want on his land. I've gone out there twice in my 2000 Maxima but last night in the tree stand I thought about what I'd do if I got a deer. I settled on just calling someone to come help if needed. I also thought about picking up a tarp to keep in the trunk. Later on last night I told him about the delema and with out thinking or flinching he said "Strap it to the hood". I chuckled and thought he was joking but he said if I do get one I better strap it to the hood and drive to his house so he could get a picture.

Does anybody still strap deer to the hoods of cars? I've see it done on old TVshows and in old cartoons but never in real life.

STUMPYBARNES 12-03-2004 10:26 AM

RE: Anyone ever have to bring a deer home with out a truck?

A Buddy of mine just came back from Northern Michigan and said he saw a Ford ****** with a deer strapped to the roof. Take your lemons and make lemonade!

burniegoeasily 12-03-2004 10:28 AM

Yep, Ive draged a few deer home in the trunk of a car. I line the trunk with a painters tarp/plastic, and go on. I have not had to worry about that for over 15 years now.

My dad use to drag them home straped to the top of his car. I think it is kinda taboo to transport a deer that way, now a days.

adkfreeridex 12-03-2004 10:31 AM

all my fathers deer have been in the trunk of a car, mine was in a mini van
all yah need is a sheet of plastic.

jpm8920 12-03-2004 10:32 AM

I've always owned cars, and I usually hunt with my father's pick-up, but a couple times I've had to bring them home in my car. I've actually done both - strap it on top, and put in in the trunk. I probably prefer strapping it to the top. I hate trying to clean the trunk out (no matter how much you try, some blood will get out), and I also hate the idea of ticks being in my car. Where I hunt in upstate NY I see lots of deer strapped to the roofs of cars by the way.

SeaHunter 12-03-2004 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: jpm8920
I also hate the idea of ticks being in my car.
That was one of my thoughts.

My other though was the horrified look on some kids face as im in traffic. A dead deer with it's bloody tounge hanging out might tweek out some kids/parrents.

cardeer 12-03-2004 11:28 AM

Sure ,many times ,usually in back of wagon or trunk.did have some on the roof over the years. On the way back from Iowa I had 2 hugebuck on a new caddy roof. Trunk was full ,trunk lid had my radio antennas on. Interesting 1200 trip. Lot of stares and lots of CB talk.

hunter cameron 12-03-2004 12:19 PM

I had my big muley this year in the trunk it was the opener of the rifle i had a lots of people give me a thumbs up that were coming home from the hunt . I like showing of my antlers .

later , hunter cameron

solocamshooter1 12-03-2004 12:27 PM

I have a 4runner, use a hitch haul for the deer. Plugs right into the receiver.

Sswpriz 12-03-2004 12:39 PM

Solo, you mean like this ??

Years ago however, I only had a 77 Gran Prix, shot a nice size doe about an hour we were supposed to get on the road back home, tied it to the trunk lid with ropes going thru the windows to keep it from falling off.