Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hammer extensions unsafe

Old 12-03-2004, 09:42 AM

Default hammer extensions unsafe

altho this happened years ago it still bothers me while hunting with my nephew 15 yrs old, we were walking through some saplings on the way back from hunting and i was carrying my 44mag lever action with a hammer side extention when my nephew stepped over one sapling and it snapped back ,caught the extention on the hammer and thank GOD it cocked fully rather than dropping on the firing pin because he was right in front of me and would have caught the full blast point blank, as soon as i got back to camp i removed and THREW that little joy in the woods, lesson learned?dont follow to close and dont have hammer extentions on your gun. my nephew now has 3 kids of his own, is an engineer, races stock cars, and loves life. THANKS GOD FOR WATCHING OVER US
SAFE HUNTING EVERYONE
Old 12-03-2004, 10:21 AM

Default RE: hammer extensions unsafe

WHile I am glad that the hammer did cock back completely, one of the first lessons learned about gun safety is to never point a gun, loaded or unloaded, at anyone. When you are walking behind someone, point the gun in the air or to the side, never directly in front of you. I have had these extensions on numerous guns and never had a problem. While I do see where you are coming from, common sense prevails when handling a firearm.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzle control is soooo important when hunting. You never know when something can happen. I also have a hammer spur on my T/C Encore and when I purchased it there was literature warning of the dangers of using this hammer extension so I’m always very careful when hunting and muzzle control is #1 on my list.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:06 PM

i take it you have never handled a gun in rough terrain such as a logged off area that is regrowing, they drop the logs crisscrossed and the saplings are every 5 inches what i forgot to mention was he slipped on one of the crisscrossed logs when the sapling snapped back and he went down in front of me the sapling had enough strenght to move my gun down and cock i was pointing over his left shoulder when it hit and we were still hunting it all happened within 2 secs - these saplings were the size of fingers and very hard to move through as well as springy,- "dont follow too close "is a better lesson,- i taught gun safety and am also a range officer and co- founder of the buffalo ridge renegades black powder gun club- so i know all about muzzle control. had i not been so close trying to help him learn hunting it would not have happend and i wouldnt be able to warn young people coming up to the dangers--- point is it can happen to you- as for me- no extentions

ignorance once disspelled is impossible to reestablish--Thomas Paine prez
Old 12-03-2004, 03:25 PM

hey trailer what caliber t/c ya shootin? i carry a 44rem mag at times if i am going to have to drive some thick woods and dont wish to carry a long gun( most shot within 100yds) its a LLama commanche and i love it,

but have considered a T/C and best of all it holds ONEBULLET (get it) also what lenghth barrell
Old 12-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good heads up warning.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM

I have never considered it to be a safety issue. I have used them on a Marlin .35 rem and a Marlin 444 and I thought they aided in safely cocking and uncocking but I do see your point. I commonly strap the rifle across neck and shoulder when traversing difficult terrain or climbing. That is something to keep in mind but to have the extension there for added surface when wearing gloves is valuable.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:23 PM

I agree with Stumpy and Trailer. If the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction, it shouldn't even matter if the gun FIRES. Accidents do happen, but being extra careful before the gun misfires is the most important aspect.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Onebullet, The caliber for my T/C is 350 Rem. Mag . I specifically ordered this caliber for heavy bush. The length of the barrel is 24”. This rifle is nice and short and handles very well. It has a good recoil when shooting at the range but I never notice it when shooting it at deer. I didn’t mean anything about my comment, just a heads up on muzzle control like Firehawk said.