Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Raise the hunting age?

Old 12-03-2004, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Raise the hunting age?

You've got to think, though, that we want kids to start hunting. And I know from expierence its pretty hard to focus on the hunt when you know you won't make a kill. It wasn't 12-year-olds killing each other in Wisconsin, it was a bunch of idiots killing each other over a deer stand!!! In my opinion teach your kid gun safety as early an age as possible. I too started out BB, then 410, then when I hit 10 got my first 20 gauge and so on and so forth. Because I was taught to be safe and how dangerous a gun is at a young age, it is now second nature for me to be safe in the woods or field. You have to isolate the problem. I don't hear very often of a 12 year old accidentally shooting somebody. ITS THE HUNTERS WHO HAVENT BEEN TAUGHT EARLY ON!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:19 AM

Absolutely NOT, I hope they don't raise the age on that.

My children are now 5 and 3, and both very much interested in the outdoors. My 5 yo daughter goes fishing, has an interest in fly fishing, has MAJOR interest in hunting, in fact, she asked Santa for hunting clothes and a bow for Christmas. She has even sat down with us and helped to tie flies! In the last two weeks, she has worked diligently to read, and can read most words with 5 letters or less... the rules in Indiana are if you can pass the hunter safety course, you can hunt. Of course I would NEVER let her go by herself, and I am assuming she will be unable to pass the course until she is 7. Quite honestly, she does not follow directions very well right now and even if she was 8 and passed the course, I would NOT allow her in the woods until she learns I know more and she is not queen bee.

I think much of it has to be up to the parents. It is MY call, not the state's. Some kids are very booksmart and can pass a course no problem, but when it comes to common sense, some are lacking, and as much as I love my kid, right now she lacks the common sense to understand the ins and outs of hunting.

I would have no problems with the regulations stating there must be adult supervision under the age of 16 or so.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:39 AM

The age is 16 here in Ohio, and I agree with it.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 AM

education is the key, respect for the gun,and all involved. safety first no matter what age

ignorance once disspelled is impossible to reestablish
--thomas paine

you got it right standsnblind
Old 12-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Education is the key not the age. Raise the standards of the hunter safety course and continue to upgrade the education and safety.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like how NH does it, kids can hunt at any age, and carry thier own gun, as long as they are with a licensed adult. At 16 they need their own license, have to pass the hunter ed/bowhunter ed course and they are ok to hunt on their own.

My kids have been hunting with me for a couple years now. Oldest is 14.

We also have "youth weekends" one each for turkey, waterfowl, deer. My kids teamed up for a sweep of them this year, 12 year old got an 18 lb turkey and a wood duck, 14 year old got a deer.

--Bob
Old 12-03-2004, 12:37 PM

There is one downside though, to having a age restriction. I was hardly ever able to hunt, because no one I knew would have time to take me, or no one else hunted. I had to pay my dues, and now I have gotten my 3rd deer (2 last year and 1 this year) all by myself.

I feel sorry for those unfortunate kids who LOVE hunting, but no one can take em or their family isn't interested in it so they don't help out in the situation.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:35 PM

in minnesota we have a take a kid fishing day it would be nice to have the same for hunting, or do we and i just dont know about it, help me out somebody
Old 12-03-2004, 03:42 PM

all us young hunters are prolly safer then u old guys yas are all blind and everything
Old 12-03-2004, 04:12 PM

pretty cocky there since ya got yer deer, check it out- my dads 78 years old still huntin, and every year for the last five has been "the last year"he brings em home every year and YO wisdom and knowledge will beat youth and enthusiasum every time----

i am 43 and got lots a hunts left in me

and besides electronic ears and eyes are available everywhere

shoot safe kiddo----PEACE
by the way nice lookin deer

Quick Reply: Raise the hunting age?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.