Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I don't know what's wrong with me !!! >

I don't know what's wrong with me !!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I don't know what's wrong with me !!!

Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM

Default I don't know what's wrong with me !!!

I have been deer hunting for 17 years now, ever since I was 12. For the first four(years) like many other kids, I found it rather boring most of the time. By the time I was able to leave dad's side and venture off on my own, I became more interested and a lot more patient. For a good 10 years now I could wait patiently all day long and not see a thing and be content. This year is different, something is just not right. I was out today and wasn't real eager to stay in one spot. I just kept moving around and had no patience what so ever. I didn't see anything all day and by 3:30 I was ready to give up for the season or maybe even forever. I don't know what's wrong with me. There is a lot going on in my life and it seems that my mind was not in the woods and the woods is where I always felt relaxed, the way it should be. I hope I'm not losing my love and passion for the sport. I just can't RELAX!!!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I don't know what's wrong with me !!!

Hang in there man, sounds like you have some heavy things going on right now. Don't panic, keep your head up and things will become clearer as you come out the other side. I had similiar feelings to deal with when I went through a divorce years ago and my passion for hunting is greater now than ever!!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:53 PM

Hey,

I've been there so I can relate to what your feeling. Years ago, during my worst of my worst I hunted one day just because "she" was not going to destroy that too. My head was not in the hunt and my mind was scrambling with all the bs that I was going through.....not dealing with it if you can understand that.

It takes time to heal from what ever you are going through. This season may not be the one for you to be out in the woods but you'll be back when it's time. Healing is a long process sometimes and what you did (sharing in here) is just one more step to getting better. Always communicate to let the steam out.

Good luck with reality and see ya in the woods soon!!!

Take care,

Michigan Outdoorsman
Old 12-02-2004, 06:05 PM

to the contractor--dont feel bad--i'm hoping the ansey(sp) spell passes, spent everyday of my vacation(9 strght) only to enjoy the first 3-4 days, after that nothing seemed right or to go right --for thaat matter--wife told me to relax -easier said then done- maybe its just the year, not sure.

W-T-D, --your advice and insight are greatly appreciated, highly welcomed, directly or not(think sounds right-appolgy if doesnt)--this year/season has just not been a good one.

Thnks just the same.

ps. with all other critters coming available to hunt hopefully better times are comeing.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:34 PM

I think maybe you guys just hit the nail right on the head. My business this year really went down hill and I won't blame the economy, it was me. I just lost all interest in working for myself. I think the pressure of having to deal with, satisfy, and eat you know what on a daily basis just got too overwhelming for me to handle..........after six years of struggling to keep my head above water I finally decided to give it up!!! So now I finally have the job of a lifetime but it's not written in stone due to the fact that one screw up and I'm history because there are a thousand other guys ready to take my place. My wife and I had a lot of problems and have been getting along great since i quit drinking which was very hard for me to do because I started at a very young age. I just lost my best friend due to a business partnership gone bad. My bills are way behing because of the transition from contractor to my new job. Christmas is coming and thank God my wife had money taken from her paycheck all year to go directly to a savings account so the kids will have presents. On top of all this my wife's mother AND father both have cancer !!!! Wow does this sound bad or what??? I'm not trying to get pitty from anybody, that's not what this is about.............. I think you guys just helped me figure out why I was doing the things I was doing out in the woods today. The problem is, isn't the woods supposed to be a stress releiver???
Old 12-02-2004, 07:01 PM

Contractor,

I am an old man compared to you but the situation has been the same-when too much adds up all at once there is noplace that becomes shelter because the problems are in your heart and in your mind. When you go out in the woods it is just you and your heart and mind. Deal today with what you can deal with today. deal tomorrow with what can wait until tomorrow-we will always be out here in the woods waiting to welcome you back home. Come back when you are ready!!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I'm out in the woods and nothing is happening, I just sit and think. I find my experience rates varies depending on what I was thinking about. What I was thinking about is usually what's going on in my life at that point in time. Kind of a reflecting back sort of thing. When something is stressing me, I try not to think about it. I try to look for all the positves that are happening in my life. Last time I was out, I flushed a couple of coveys of quail. I'd gone for nearly two years without seeing a bird. I was also hunting in a pasture that I helped my grandmother enroll in a government conservation program. It had been sprayed for prickly pear. It looked worlds different than the year before. The grass was so thick and tall that I couldn't sit and hunt just anywhere, I had to pick a high spot so I could see out around me. I also looked across at the wheat field. The wheat was up and looking great. After thinking about all the good things I had going for me, my hunt was great. I didn't see a deer, but I really enjoyed the hunt.

Next time your out hunting and waiting for that deer to show up, you need to spend more time thinking about all the good things that are happening in your life. You mentioned several of them yourself. You've got the job of a lifetime. You and your wife are getting along great since you quit drinking. You have wonderful children, AND your wife has you covered by setting some money back to pay for Christmas. I think you get my point. You appear to be focusing on how everything is going wrong in your life. Hunting is a time to reflect on how everything is going great in your life. Try to be more of the "glass is half full" kind of guy and you'll find hunting much more enjoyable.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I understand how you feel.After our visit from Ivan this year I found myself thinking,I have to do this and work on the house and.....The next day I took a book with me,it worked great.I found myself relaxing.Hang in there.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:15 AM

Hey man don't get down...like all good things in life, you have bad days, and those bad days make the good ones all the more better and rewarding.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

A break will bring back the spirit. I got like that a few bowseasons ago. I put up the bow for a season and only went out during rifle season. The following season, I couldnt wait to get the bow out and start a new season. Also, go on easier hunts, make just the morning, go do something else for the rest of the day, or just go out on the evening. It could help keep from burning out.

Quick Reply: I don't know what's wrong with me !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.