Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer jerky proccesser

Old 12-02-2004, 03:02 PM

Default deer jerky proccesser

I was wondering what you guys a whole deer would cost to get made into jerky? The cost is $60 for basis processing and $4.99/lb for jerky (green weight) thats what i dont understand is the green weight) i was wanting to spend around $120.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:38 PM

Default RE: deer jerky proccesser

is green weight the weight dryed or before it is dryed?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 PM

Green weight to me is just as it is removed from the animal, before any thing is added, removed or enhanced. A steak is green weight, etc. A roast that hasn't been trimmed is green weight. Once trimmed it is no longer. Does that sum it up?

Russ
Old 12-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

120$ minus 60$ for processing leaves 60$ for jerky divide that by 5$ equals 12 lbs green meat for jerky, once dried that equal about 4lbs- 6 the most. I would do it myself in the oven. Do a search or look through the camp cooking section. I would learn to butcher my self and save all the money for equipment, It's fun and easy.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

$4.99 a lb for meat sounds high. Doesnt beff jerky already dried go for that much a lb ?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:39 PM

I'd be happy to pay $4.99 a pound. My processor charges $7.00/lb. Their basic fee is $50.00. I use them because the place is professional, clean, smells good, and the people are friendly.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 PM

Ptrbilt , about how much jerky do you get made when you take there and how much is it?
Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 PM

I'm not a huge jerky fan so I just get a little bit. I tell them to make 5 pounds and I get about 2.5 pounds of jerky back. They also make snack sticks (slim jims that actually have some texture and taste good) in a variety of flavors. ~$5.00/pound I usually get a few pounds of them. I try to keep the total under $100.00
Old 12-02-2004, 06:59 PM

Bobby, get yourself a $50 food dehydrator and use the deer steaks to make your own jerkey. A lot of people use ground venison for their jerky, but I don't care for that myself.
The best thing about making your own jerky is that you can marinate it and experiment with the flavors you like the most. Also, you don't have to make it all at one time and run the risk of having some mold or go bad.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been doing my own jerky this year and for the price it will cost you to have it done once, you can have all the equipment and supplies you need for years to come. I use a dehydrator, but the oven will work also. You could go to WalMart and pick up a simple dehydrator model for $40 and the marinade supplies for another $20. There are thousands of receipes. I would be happy to send you the details on what you need. Believe me, if I can make good jerky anyone can. In the end, it's cheap, tasty, and rewarding.

Quick Reply: deer jerky proccesser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.