Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How well do deer smell...????

Old 12-02-2004, 06:54 PM

Default RE: How well do deer smell...????

Sometimes I think we see deer do things and attribute characteristics to them that they might not otherwise possess. Science seems to say that deer get used to smelling things in their environment and do have very keen senses of smell. They detect differences in scents as they enter and leave areas-hence it suspected that is why most predators hunt from the down wind side of their prey. It also follows that if blood or gut piles become part of the scent pattern of the area-deer would acclimate to the smell and hence it would not be a distress-our scent without the chemicals we apply to our bodies over time would probably not be an issue(anybody for naked deer hunting) but since we use chemicals and their smell remains-it is different and therefore detectable-the sensitivity is more a matter of intensity rather than distance. All that said-we have all seen things that defy the explanation.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How well do deer smell...????

I have shot deer, dragged them 50 yards and gutted them, hung them and sat back down in my stand. Deer came by smelled the spot where the shot was made and LICKED the blood off the ground. Three weeks ago, I shot two coyotes and the deer at my feed pen never budged. I guess if you dont shoot at them, then shootings ok. That afternoon two does and a cow licked the coyotes blood off the ground. I don't think deer are as smart as everyone gives them credit for. Cautious yes, intelligent nope. Minimum care to mask yor scent is a plus, worrying about blood scaring them off is not in my opinion a great concern. It may be a good lure if the truth be told.