Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To shoot or not to shoot?

Old 12-01-2004, 04:21 PM

Default To shoot or not to shoot?

Today I was faced with a decision. About 15 minutes before the close of legal hunting hours I spied a buck coming thru the thick vines. I put my binoculars on him and at first I could only tell he had six points. Here in western PA we have 4 point per side antler restrictions. After a few minutes I could determine that the buck had another tiny point on each antler. Now without a tape rule there's no way I could tell if that point was a legal inch or longer. Finally the buck comes out into the open and I had clear view. I still could not tell! I thought to myself that surely if I could see it from where I was (10 yards away) then it would have to be an inch... I had a perfect broadside shot several times but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Another thing that bothered me is that the buck had an injured left front shoulder/leg. So I pondered the 'shoot or not to shoot' dilemma for 10 more minutes until finally another deer busted me from down the hill behind me. This 6 or 8 point will live for another day....
Old 12-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: To shoot or not to shoot?

Sounds like you did the right thing --- and besides, if you let those little guys walk, they have a chance to get bigger. Good Job, Jen
Old 12-01-2004, 04:30 PM

if they are hurt i would have killed the deer .
Old 12-01-2004, 04:39 PM

My dad always told me "when in doubt, don't". Sounds like you made the right decision.

Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

seeing that he was already injured, i probaly would have pulled the trigger.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

I thought to myself that surely if I could see it from where I was (10 yards away) then it would have to be an inch... I had a perfect broadside shot several times but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
To me to not shoot was a wise desision.

If the point was less than 1 inch you would have shot an ileagel deer.

So you did the right thing.

I hate the fact that it was hurt but the law is the law.

As law abiding hunters we must up hold what ever law we live under.

Thats what makes us hunters in the first place.

People that do it out side of the law are poachers.

Well thats my 2 cents
Old 12-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I too think you made the right decision! Laws are their for a reason. Boy I'm sure your head was probably spinnin at that point, as well as your heart a racin'! ya gotta love it! Good luck!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:58 PM

Jen,
If I was in your shoes, I would have done the same thing. Time and time again, deer tend to shrink when you see them lying flat on the ground. Maybe he was legal, but maybe he wasn't. When in doubt, don't shoot. You did the right thing so you can feel good about that.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you made the right decision, deer get injured legs all the time and cope fine. I hope you get a BIG one now as your reward.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Yes, my heart was pounding and my head was spinning. I'v never gotten a buck yet so I was really thrilled at a possible chance.
What bothers me the most is the fact that we have to carry a ruler (or micrometer) while hunting!

Quick Reply: To shoot or not to shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.