HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   #1 thing that contributes to your success? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81071-1-thing-contributes-your-success.html)

peakrut2000 12-01-2004 01:00 PM

#1 thing that contributes to your success?

Just curious, might use some of these answers for my own success.

Thanks,
Peak

zekeskar 12-01-2004 01:03 PM

RE: #1 thing that contributes to your success?

It may be one thing or several. The One Thing would be attend to the very basics. The subheadings under that would be: be still, be quiet, put in the time in the woods and practice your shooting beforehand.

All the other stuff is very, very secondary. Just MHO!

buttonbuckmaster 12-01-2004 01:03 PM

Scent control.
Accuracy is a close second.:)

rybohunter 12-01-2004 01:14 PM

Having a good hunting spot. Everything else is a distant 2nd.

rather_be_huntin 12-01-2004 01:35 PM

There are a lot of things that go into a successful hunt and even more that goes into being successful year after year. But none of it means a lick if you don't put the time in the woods necessary to find the animal you are looking for. You can have the best scent control, best cammo, be able to move without sound ad be able to shoot the wing off a fly at 1000 yds but it don't mean a thing if you don't invest the time actually being in the woods. The more time you spend in the woods the better hunter you'll be. Because not only are you finding more game but ever encounter with game and game sign only hones your skills more and more. But then again I hunt out West in the Rockies. I don't what it's like hunting over a corn feeder.

BowHuntingFool 12-01-2004 02:15 PM

For me it's knowing my limitations first! I guess I could see the Ole' 30 pointer and have a perfect shot and not be able to capitalize would suck! Know your weapons of choice! Good luck everybody and enjoy it!
As well as all of the above!:D Practice!
Excellent post!:)

trailer 12-01-2004 02:48 PM

My number one thing is patients. Everything else falls into place.

bwhunter501 12-01-2004 03:05 PM

timing....thats all i need to say lol right place right time

cardeer 12-01-2004 03:17 PM

A place that has deer of course
and time spent ,every moment of the season you can possibly hunt. if possible everyday all day.
If you want a deer ?? in deer seaon everyrhting is secondary to hunting

Deerslayer_37 12-01-2004 03:45 PM

#1 thing- determination and self confidence. gotta have the confidence in your self. if you say that you can put the arrow in the 10 ring, you're gonna do it. if you think you're going to miss, chances are, you're gonna make a bad shot. also, as far as gunning for big whitetails, its A: Luck and B:Location. The guys who shoot big bucks consistently have the right location. everybody shoots a decent buck once or twice. it takes a helluva hunter to kill 150"+'s every year.

slayer