HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   First feild dress (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/81057-first-feild-dress.html)

WV_Coalminer 12-01-2004 10:55 AM

First feild dress

I haven't had the pleasure of doing this yet but I wondering, have any of you or people "you know" ever gotten sick while feild dressing ?

minnesotahunter 12-01-2004 11:03 AM

RE: First feild dress

You know, it was something I thought about until I did it, too. For some reason, it didn't bother me at all. The smell can make you pull back a little, but that's it. I didn't think of it as any worse than gutting a fish. It's actually pretty interesting.

avid_bowhunter2005 12-01-2004 11:04 AM

I think field dressing is really easy actually, I did my first the other night on a small buck for my grandpa, and it was totally easy!

As for the squeamish, I'd have to say I don't know anyone yet.

buttonbuckmaster 12-01-2004 11:35 AM

It's not as bad as many make it out to be. Now, if I had to drink the blood like some do.......I might yack.[:'(]

cardeer 12-01-2004 03:29 PM

If you dont cut in to the tommy sack it wont smell bad.. yes the belly just rolls out in the stomack bag like a bowling ball.Takes 5 minutes with a good knife

mauser06 12-01-2004 04:06 PM

my friend got sick....he killed a few deer and a bunch of squirrels and such and we were squirrel hunting and hes like you know...i never gutted anything....i was like you got a knife? hes like ya? i was like take that squirrel out and your gutting it.....he about threw up......dont know why...he killed a bunch of game and his dad gutted his deer for him right infront of him....but i made him gut that squirrel and he almost couldnt do it...........since though hes been fine and gutted his own deer!.....dont bust the stomach or the smell will probably make you sick....

Deerslayer_37 12-01-2004 04:23 PM

I've never had a problem field dressing. I kind of frown when i see parents gutting out their kid's deer for them. my dad made me gut my first. sure, he guided me through it, but now im able to do it all alone, as in shoot the deer, gut it, drag it out, take the hide off, and cut it up myself if i had to. i did gag once when i had to dress a deer that i gut shot. but once you get your hands dirty, they can't get any worse. might as well dig and start getting the stuff out.

slayer

Pa Trophy Man 12-01-2004 05:28 PM

A punctured the stomach on my first, i got alittle sick from the smell [&:]

BeltedMag 12-01-2004 07:50 PM

The only time it ever bothers me is if i gut shoot one. The whole blood and guts isnt too bad. I have had to walk away once or twice if i get too far back and hit intestines or stomach. Then i start gagging a little bit.

Bobby5 12-01-2004 08:01 PM

I shot my first deer in about 85 degree weather and the buzzards got to it before i did. They already poked into its gutsack and eyeball out. 85 degree weather and a punctured gut sack dont mix. Possibly the worst smell id ever smelled in my life but i got the job done.