Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

He missed it!!!

Old 11-30-2004, 05:44 PM

Default He missed it!!!

Well, we were up at my boyfriend's dad's house over the holiday and he lives on 40 wooded acres in Northern Michigan. He's got 4 blinds set up in his woods, but usually only sees nothing more than 4 pointers and does. He has lived there for 14 years now, and the biggest he has shot off the land is a 4 pointer. Anyway, his wife was out hunting and boyfriend, myself and my daughter were sitting in the house "hunting" out the windows LOL. Well, I had turned a light on to read my book and Shane's dad says, "I don't normally turn that light on because I like to see out, but it doesn't matter, nothing is going to come out anyway..." LOL 2 minutes before that, he was talking about his only remaining buck tag, which requires at least 4 points on ONE side, he says, "Where in the he** am I going to find something like THAT?"

It hadn't been 3 minutes after the whole light thing and he says, oh, there's a deer eating the pumpkins out of the patch... LOL... then he says, "Oh my gosh, it's a buck!" So, he runs to his porch, where he has a woodpile set up to use as a blind, and he gets set up to shoot, and slips, the gun goes off and not only does he rip his canvas over the pile, but he MISSES the monster!!! It was only 70 yards if that! It was at LEAST a 10 point, and it was a monster, but he missed it! We were all shaking for him, thinking he for SURE would get it, we were in disbelief! I felt so badly for him, but in all those 14 years, he has missed an 8,9, and probably 10 pointer off of his porch, all less than 70 yards from him... ***sigh*** Poor guy, but we had a good time razzin' him for the next 3 days. LOL
Old 11-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: He missed it!!!

Cool, take a bite of steak, look out window, go miss buck. Priceless. What a goof ball.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:20 PM

I felt bad for him, what happened actually was the wood pile shifted as he was shooting, I watched it all happen, it sucked... seriously, this is no bad hunter, he was in 'Nam and received a medal for exceptional marksmanship. He has a sand bag out there to use as a base to shoot off of, but he apparently got "buck fever" because he forgot to move it and failed to use it!

He always gets buck fever... although he claims he doesn't... I love this man, but sheesh, I woulda killed that deer dead... LOL (well, that's what I told him anyway) He took the harassment well from us, but he was NOT HAPPY about a miss like that.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Might I suggest a minefield in the pumpkin patch? j/k
Old 11-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

you call shooting off of the porch hunting???
Old 11-30-2004, 07:47 PM

what's the difference? Seriously, he is in 40 wooded acres, he has a blind with a BACK PORCH in the woods (i'm being serious, his REAL blind in the woods has a back porch on it LOL)...

I don't see nothing wrong with that, if I was on my porch and a monster walked out in front of me, I'd shoot the sucker too!

I guess everyone's opinion is different though.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

When we lived on the farm in the 60"s we often shot out the top bedroom window
Old 12-01-2004, 03:15 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

When we lived on the farm in the 60"s we often shot out the top bedroom window
I haven't had a chance at a big buck in season yet but the house has seen its fair share of yotes, magpies and stray cats taken out the window. Got to love it whe someone is taking a phone call with the 12 gauge blarin away in the background. First time my brother inlaw visited our farm my sis warned him that i was a bit on the redneck side but he never saw my true colors till he woke up to gunfire one morning lol rise and shine !!!! I don't see a problem with it if you are lucky enough to have a good deer walk through the yard in shooting time and season, chances of that hapening to me though are slim, they always seem to know when i'm tagged out. So far only 2 household shooting accidents, first was me re aranging the gutter with the .410. I was leading a magpie and i reckon i led him a little too high. I took my laughs from the family over that but the next week was dad's turn. Dad isn't exactly a hunter but was bound and determined to get this magpie out the kitchen window with the .22. Problem is the old boy never stuck the barrel out far enough, now we have a nice small "vent hole" through the window frame.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in the woods with the orchard a 100 yards or so out the back and could easily shoot into it from the house. I usually sneek down closer since I can travel with an outbuilding shed between me and the orchard. Nothing better than watching the tube and a nice deer walks out into the open. Grab the 270 and sneek down and Kablam. I think this is a better rush than from the stand since it sneeks up on you when you least expect it.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:52 AM

maybe i'm just jelouse (because it's illegal to do that in PA) but i don't think that's hunting at all. since he missed so many deer from his porch over the years, maybe that's God's way of letting him know he needs to get off his lazy keester and get out in the woods.

Quick Reply: He missed it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.