HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Slug Gun Scope??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/80957-slug-gun-scope.html)

WantBuck 11-30-2004 04:05 PM

Slug Gun Scope???

I think i'm going to see if the wifey will get me a scope for X-Mas and I was hoping you guys could help me pick one out.It's for a Mossberg 500 12g and i'll be using it strictly in the woods and probably wont be taking any shots over 50yds more than likely.I'm not too familar with scopes so I may need your help in explaining some of the trems of the scope.If you have any recommendations i'd also like to know where I could find it at.
Thanks in adavance,
JE

NHBuck 11-30-2004 04:13 PM

RE: Slug Gun Scope???

I put a Bushnell Trophy Series on my 1300 slug gun. It is 1.75 to 4 power. So far I have not had any issues with it. I paid around $120.00 for it. Nice and clear and the 1.75 gives you that little extra but not to much magnification in close quarters.

atlasman 11-30-2004 08:16 PM

I have the same Bushnell scope as listed above.

LOVE IT.

Circle X reticle is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Bright and clear.

I have killed 3 deer with it so far this year and many shots at the range.

No problems yet.

RedneckHnter 11-30-2004 08:19 PM

I would recommend the Simmons pronghorn or any Scope with the Pro Diamond Reticle. The Simmons Pronghorn has an awsome price, good eye relief, and I like the Diamond because it makes you focus in on a smaller spot inside the diamond. I have one on my 1187 and I love it. Well I have shot One shell and killed One deer this year. So IMO Simmons Pronghorn.

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-01-2004 06:40 AM

I have the bushells trophy seris on my shotguns, my friend does also on his mossberg 500 he has the 3-9x40 you pick one up for $100. I have the 1.5x4, I dont really care for it, rather have the 3-9x40,

StickslingnTom 12-01-2004 10:35 AM

i have a nikon prostaff 3 - 7x32, i love this scope. I have gone through a few that have not been able to handle the recoil of the slugs i shoot. This scope is awesome in low light conditions and works well for close up shots and is about perfect for its longer range capabilities. hope this helps.

Stick

Deerslayer_37 12-01-2004 04:13 PM

Don't go with a cheapie. too easy for them to blow the nitro seal. i'd shy away from teh 3-9X scopes. too high of magnification for what you use ona shotgun. 2-7 at the most i would say. i have a 1-4 Leupold. paid a good amount for it, but its rock solid and hasn't let me down. 1-4X suits my needs. Leupold Vari X II Shotgun scope. i think now its the VX-II shotgun scope.

slayer

BOWFANATIC 12-01-2004 09:30 PM

IMO you cant beat the Bushnell Trophy on a slug gun! I've had mine for six years now with zero complaints. I have the 1.5 - 4 power which is ideal for close range hunting. Leave it on 1.5 if your in the woods and the eye relief is great.

WantBuck 12-01-2004 10:17 PM

Thanks for the replies.Very appreciated.
Can someone send me a link to the Bushnell Tropy Series scope.I looked at Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops but they only had Trophy Series Rifle Scopes.Or with the rifle scopes work on the shotgun in this series.I noticed most scopes for the shotgun say shotgun scopes so thats why i'm puzzled cause they did'nt say shotgun scopes.
Thanks,
JE

WantBuck 12-07-2004 04:01 PM

Bump.....Wanted to see if I could get someon to respond to the post above.
Thanks,
JE