Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

getting frustrated in ga

Old 11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: getting frustrated in ga

thanks for the reply's so far guys. its good to read about others ideas and experiences.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:27 AM

I also reside in nw ga for the time being.Whitfield co, hunt in murray though. frustrated isnt even the word for this season.....i have seen 3 deer since rifle season started and had a shot at none of them[:'(] Took a good porker last week wiich made me feel better, 200lb boar should make some good sausage
Old 12-01-2004, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

The rut should be getting in full swing about now. It accurs a little later than up north and last a little longer. Also lack of any real cold weather has kept them moving mostly at night. There are plenty of deer in Ga. and plenty of nice bucks and since they started with the 10 does - 2 bucks I have seen way more bucks every season. Here are a few pics of the bucks I got last year and this year in Lee County.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

gulfcoast,

I was wondering about the rut here in middle ga. I saw some yoiung bucks chasing does a bour 1 1/2- 2 weeks ago when it was cold and windy. The this warm weather hit and I havent seen any rut sign. Well the last few days has been cold and still no sign. I was under the impression that it just happened at night. Also my budy seems to think the peak rut is over and just happened at night as well.

I do feel that maybe the rut starts a little later here in mid ga do to the weather though. I jsut wish I could tell what going on. So do you think that the PEAK rut gets a late start here in middle ga??? if so any advise on what to try...
Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't been up in a couple of weeks now but the majority of the time the last few years the rut hasn't really kicked in until after Thanksgiving. I do know that as of 3 weeks ago they where still in bachalor groups. The 10pt in the first pic I took last year the weekend before Christmas. The 2 eight points I killed this year on Oct 17. There where 6 bucks walking together and lots of rubs around but little scraping or sparring. Try the travel routes between bedding cover. I have had my best sucess in areas with the least amount of sign, a rub here or there. A big track etc. Usually these areas are on the edge of high traffic areas. Good luck and hang in You'll pattern them out soon enough.