Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I got some HORIBLE news

Old 11-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default I got some HORIBLE news

Well, lets start with some background info. I hunt a property that is a popcorn farm with a big creek and woods row along the creek. I have hunted here for 4 years(as long as I have hunted) and have been on the trail of a non-typical buck that the first year would score in the 180-190 range, every year after that he has been over 200. Went in to pick up a fawn hide from the taxidermist, he hunts that property too, and he told me that the big nontypical had been killed. Bummer news to begin with. It got worse.
It seems the DNR took the rack after the guy who checked it in wasnt the guy who allegidly shot it, and wasnt the guy who signed it into the taxidermist bragging about killing it. So now the DNR has the rack of the buck whose rack this year scored in the 220 range and an investigation is underway as to what exactly is goin on.
Now, since it was poached, he wont get the recognition he deserves, and his rack will spend eternity in the DNRs possession
I called the DNR to conferm this and I told him what I heard and asked if that was true and if it was, what else could he tell me. All he did was say "cant tell ya nothin unless your directly involved in the investigation." and hung up on me. That ticked me off to. Not the he couldnt tell me anything, but that he hung up on me[:@]
This whole deal just sucks[:'(][:@]
Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I got some HORIBLE news

So goes the wages of sin .

It sucks that you'll never get a shot at it , but it sounds like there was some chicanery involved so ODNR made the right call by impounding it . If it turns out to be kosher the buck will have a chance at the record , if not the shooter didn't deserve it anyway .
Old 11-30-2004, 07:56 PM

No guarantee that he was yours this year anyway. You didn't get him in earlier years. Let go. Move on.

EKM
Old 12-01-2004, 02:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cabelas hears of that rack ,they will offer 250,000 for it
Old 12-01-2004, 04:48 AM

i can understand your disapointment. the buck i was after for a little over three years was hit by a car the day before first day of buck last year !!! the sad part about it is, he was enticed acrossed a heavily trafficed (is that a word???) road by a camp that put out corn, sugered apples and such. i'm not saying they were wrong because i feed the deer too, but if i lived where they are at, i would never feed those deer. it's too dangerous for the deer and for people driving the cars.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:17 AM

ya that does s***. but there will be others, at least you can look forward to that.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Im not upset he got killed by someone else. Just that it was poached. He wont enter record books as poached and wont get the recognition that he, the buck, deserved. If everything turns out cool, Ill look up the guy, shake his hand and congragulate him on the deer and tell him I hunted him for 4 years and ask if I can get a picture. Thats it.
I just hate to see him go out by being poached[]
Old 12-01-2004, 10:50 AM

Congratulate the poacher?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: deerhuntr107

Im not upset he got killed by someone else. Just that it was poached. He wont enter record books as poached and wont get the recognition that he, the buck, deserved. If everything turns out cool, Ill look up the guy, shake his hand and congragulate him on the deer and tell him I hunted him for 4 years and ask if I can get a picture. Thats it.
I just hate to see him go out by being poached[]
Why the HECK would you congratulate a poacher? I would think the proper response would be to yell at the guy for spoiling the chance for a legal hunter. What an a$$hole (the poacher, not you).

Also, I don't think deer feel honored if they end up as a good head mount! They all seem a little shocked and glassy-eyed to me
Old 12-01-2004, 12:52 PM

OOPS I just re-read your message. You said

...If everything turns out cool, Ill look up the guy, shake his hand and congragulate him on the deer and tell him I hunted him for 4 years and ask if I can get a picture. Thats it.
I guess you mean that if for some reason the deer wasn't taken illegally you'd congratulate the guy. For sure. Sorry if I misunderstood you!

Quick Reply: I got some HORIBLE news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.