HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Getting permission to hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/80849-getting-permission-hunt.html)

Plumbob 11-29-2004 08:10 PM

Getting permission to hunt

I was just wondering from landowners and non lanowners what they think about asking for permission to hunt? I hunt on a army post in MO but sometimes certain areas are closed and you can't really get their patterns down and it would be nice to have a place to hunt that I can figure out where the deer run. I have tried to get the nerve up to ask for permission on some private land but never can do it. Guess I figure that I am intruding on someone to drive up their driveway to ask them. Some would think that being military would help especially these days, but you would be surprised on how many actually think we just are out to shoot up everything. I guess actually I don't know this for sure but it is another reason I can't get up the nerve to ask. Just would like some information on how others get permission and if there are any landowners here, what they think would be a good impression for a person to ask. Thanks

NHBuck 11-29-2004 08:20 PM

RE: Getting permission to hunt

Just ask. However, I would not ask the day before you hunt. I would suggest asking at least a month or two prior to the season if not more.

Sniper151 11-29-2004 08:42 PM

Plumbob When you get your feet wet on the first trip the rest will be a snap. Many landowners will allow hunting if you ask permission, even on posted land. I make out a 3 x 5 card with my name, address, phone number, type of vehicle and license number. I also take a second card for the landowner to sign that verifies you have permission from him to hunt his property. Stop by later in the day before dinner. Introduce yourself and ask if they will allow hunting on their property. Be sure to state what season you want to hunt. Many landowners will allow archery hunting but not firearms because of cattle or horses. Be specific. When you get premission, ask where you may park that's out of the way and that you will be on his property very early and may be there until after dark. Some things not to do are: don't show up after work with dirty clothing and a tee shirt with nasty pictures or slogans. Don't stop a farmer in the field unless you know him well. Many farmers tasks are based on the weather and sometimes that doesn't cooperate and they may not be in a good frame of mind. Just be yourself and I'll bet you get your hunting priviledge...;)
Good Hunting...

WantBuck 11-29-2004 09:51 PM

I've also wondered this and I think I will try what Sniper151 suggested.I have a quick question about one of your cards.On the card that you have for the land owner to sign,what would you write?Would you just write someting like"I______give WantBuck the permisson to hunt my property"then a sig?
I was just curious on how you prepare the card for him to sign
Thanks,
JE

Hiawatha 11-29-2004 10:27 PM

I am a landowner and do not have any problem whatsoever having people stop and ask to hunt. i actually like when they do cause it shows there are still some respectful hunters out there and always nice to meet someone new. Land is posted "Hunting with permission only" if i'm not hunting that particular piece of land and they had the decency to stop and ask they are more than welcome to it. However if i caught them out there without asking the chit usually hits the fan. I have asked to hunt several other farmer's land besides my own and its a thing to do in person i think rather than over the phone. Look professional a bit, drive into their yard, introduce yourself and your intentions to hunt. Worst they can say is no. If they do let you hunt there drop by the next day with some meat or a bottle of wine or something, well even if they seem like really good people its never a bad idea. Don't be shy, ya got nothin to lose. Once you get that relationship its not a bad idea to maintain it by maybe sending a Christmas card, calling to check in with them once and awhile etc. Got a basket full of goodies last year from Ontario and a real nice ty card from some city fellas i let hunt this year. Folks like that i gladly welcome back.

dragthor 11-30-2004 06:36 AM

I would not wear any camo... dress respectfully... and be clean shaven. Also, I would suggest leaving name, phone number, license plate number, and your email address. That way...you can tell them to email you the night before if they do not want you hunting on a specific day for some reason or another (like grand kids coming over and playing in the woods).

Also, in NJ they have a little form for the landowners to fill out for you... just in case.

Some farmers also need a helping hand sometimes.

Firehawk7309 11-30-2004 07:27 AM

Plumbob,
Having been in the military myself and hunting around a military reservation I've wondered the same thing. Alot of the suggestions you have already received are right on the money. Keep in mind, there is a chance that another military person may have already gotten permission at one time and proved to be a jackass to the landowner. I was just involved with a landowner in this situation. It is up to you to sell yourself with courtesy, respect, and consideration towards the owner and their property. In my case, I not only got permission but was invited back. I made it clear to the gentleman that his rules would be followed to the letter and when I did kill a deer, I cleaned it up and offered as much as he wanted. Not only have a new place to hunt but a new friend that will allow me access to his hunting land, shooting range, and archery range all from doing what we have been taught in the service.

ToddBDS 11-30-2004 04:45 PM

Here are a few lessons I've learned the hard way on the subject:

1. Get a county plat book.
This booklet contains maps that show land ownership in the county you intend to hunt. They're available through the local county clerk's office, sometimes the local library, even local real estate offices. With this book in your hand, you'll know whom to ask for permission. It also looks like you've done your homework and are somewhat professional/courteous. You'll also avoid the "sorry, I don't own the stuff down by the creek" denials.

2. Don't be afraid of the doorbell.
It won't bite. And the landowner on the other side of the doorbell won't, either. I have gotten my fair share of "sorry, I promised it to my nephew" answers, but I've never received a rude response. Remember, it's not like you're knocking on doors in downtown New York City. People who live where deer live are good folks.

3. You're not a salesman looking to close a deal.
Don't throw a big sales pitch at them. Simply ask. When they say no (and they will at some point), thank them for their time and see if it's okay to ask again next season. If they still say no, tip your hat, thank them again and walk away.

4. Your license plate could be a problem.
In Kansas, many landowners are somewhat suspect of city hunters. And they can tell if you're one by the county sticker on your license plate. Why? Because big-city people generally don't think twice about jumping fences, using windmills for target practice or leaving gates open. If you live in KC or St. Louis, know that some landowners will hold that against you. It then becomes your job to make them feel comfortable. At this point it's a matter of trust. Follow the advice from Sniper, Hiawatha and Dragthor here and you should be fine.

5. Dance with the one who brung ya.
Once you have permission, don't take it for granted and don't dare abuse it. Your permission to hunt doesn't extend to everyone else you know. Don't invite your entire company over to hunt during the day and drink beer on the place at night. If at all possible, the landowner shouldn't be bothered at all unless it's to receive a small token of appreciation from you (backstraps, bottle of wine, meat/cheese tray, blah, blah, blah). Take it one step further and write him a nice, personal note at the end of the season with your phone number and a "will work to hunt" line. Volunteer to help cut wood, fix fences, clear brush and earn your keep. Landowners love free labor.

A few years ago, I was looking for a few new places to pheasant hunt. Several months before the season opened, I dropped in on one particular farmhouse. The old farmer said Opening Weekend and Thanksgiving Weekend were off-limits (he was saving it for family), but he invited me to hunt any other day during the season. I thanked him several times for his generosity and promised to call several days in advance before hunting (common courtesy). Just as I was about to jump into my vehicle, he yelled at me.

"I do have one request for you, though" he said. "More of a favor."

"Sure. What can I help you with?"

"I need someone to thin out my deer herd. Think you can help me do that?"

"........"

"We have too many deer around here and they're really causing us problems."

I almost hugged him.

llbts1 11-30-2004 08:47 PM

Todd, I would like to add to what you said so well. A couple of months before the season starts, head out to the area you would like to hunt and find the Farmers Coop, local feed store or farm supply.(the hangout where the farmers meet for coffee) Ask about farmers that would be willing to trade labor for hunting rights. Farmers are always looking for some good, reliable help and if its free, all the better. Even if your a green horn, you can still dig post holes or help feed cattle, cut brush, ect. ,And do some scouting at the same time. Now you will have to work, but this is also a test to see if you are a responsible sort or not. You also have a chance to build a relationship with the landowner and make a favorable impression. This hopefully turns into a long, advantageous relationship for both. Hope this helps, Larry

WantBuck 11-30-2004 09:15 PM

Their is some land that butts up to my land that I want to ask permission to hunt on so I can extend my hunting zone.Every week I tell myself "i'm going to ask the owner for permission this week".Well,it ends up that I never do.After reading this thread i'm feeling a little more confident about it now.My question is since the season has already started should I hold off for this season and just ask next season?I regret not asking in the off-season and I know I should have and now that i'm out there again it's killing me not to be able to hunt it.
One of the reasons i've always feared asking is that i'm 22yrs old and i'm afraid he'll think just because i'm 22 i'm irresponsible and a punk or something.However I feel i'm very mature at 22 years old and I hope he sees that.Been married for 3 years now and work very hard but theirs a lot of other younger folks that can spoil it for others I guess.
JE