Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ETHICS 101

Old 11-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ETHICS 101

I will only add...could you have contacted your DNR/DEP and asked for a vehicle collision tag? Now I understand the vehicle did not kill the animal, but after skinning were the injuries severe enough that the animal would have died? If so, let the police or game department tag the carcass...

I'm stating this so he can save a tag, but rather for reporting purposes.

Here in CT, we currently are almost infested with deer in the entire state, with extra tags given during all seasons on the coastline. The insurance companies, DEP, and local police want all deer involved with a car collision to be listed as such. It is a statistical thing, but very important in areas with high deer numbers and frequent collisions.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 PM

way to be DS. good thing for you to do. my hat is off to you. in most states, the buck tag is an either sex and the bonus tag is anterless only. it would be perfectly fine for him to tag the nub with the either sex or buck tag.

slayer
Old 11-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ummmmm i dont know your regs in your state but a button buck here counts as a doe as well, how can you tell in a few seconds before you shoot unless you got binos and are looking hard. You have to have 3inches of antler to consider it a buck to use your buck tag.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:32 PM

You done a fine thing and will be awarded for it someday
Old 11-29-2004, 07:04 PM

FL/GA HUNTER i was hunting on state property and even though i have permission to hunt the ajoining private property WHICH i had a doe permit for i did not have a doe permit for public land so there fore i would have been tagging the deer ilegally if i had used the doe tag,,

strut and rut good point i called the dnr today and asked them that same ??? answer in short if i wasnt the 1 who hit the deer i had no claim to him as far as a road kill , and the person who did hit it never even stopped ,,
now i know there are some that would have said tag it with a doe tag and say you shot it on private land but i couldnt in good conscience do it we have enough poaching going on as well as road hunting where i hunt ,, hope i answered any ???? anyone has
Old 11-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing. To let that deer continue on by and suffer like that would have been cruel. Hat's off to you.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: deadshot

FL/GA HUNTER i was hunting on state property and even though i have permission to hunt the ajoining private property WHICH i had a doe permit for i did not have a doe permit for public land so there fore i would have been tagging the deer ilegally if i had used the doe tag,,

strut and rut good point i called the dnr today and asked them that same ??? answer in short if i wasnt the 1 who hit the deer i had no claim to him as far as a road kill , and the person who did hit it never even stopped ,,
now i know there are some that would have said tag it with a doe tag and say you shot it on private land but i couldnt in good conscience do it we have enough poaching going on as well as road hunting where i hunt ,, hope i answered any ???? anyone has

Gotcha... Two thumbs up, deadshot. Enjoy that venison.