Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ETHICS 101

Old 11-28-2004, 06:39 PM

Default ETHICS 101

ok after the 2 threads about ethics i think mine got tested yesterday morning
i was in my stand and just after daylight i started seeing deer i was actually suprised at how many there were moving as it had rained hard all nite and at about 6:30am it started that irratating mist of a rain well anyway as i was watching 3 does that kept heading my way i thought if nothing else i'll put another in the freezer, well these does kept on coming from behind me i had no way of moving or they would have spotted me, so i just wanted to let them get out in front of me,well it never was meant to be the lead doe kept watching infront of me towards the road (my stand is 200 yrds from it) well all of a sudden she just bolted needless to say i never had a shot , but as she ran i heard a car then heard a big thud like the car had hit something but whoever it was never stopped.

well about 10 minutes later i see these 2 deer coming right to me but the second deer was walking all funny it kept falling and couldnt keep its head steady i actually felt sorry for it, well after a few more minutes the deer was at my right side at about 50 yrds so i decided to put it down, well i shot it and the deer dropped was using my wifes 6.5x55 i got down to check it out and it was a button buck so i put my reg buck tag on him could have used a doe tag but i figured i would save it for a big doe as i still have my restricted license so hopefully
during second bow or m/l i can fill my other tag
Old 11-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ETHICS 101

Things happen,I also hunt in the hearing of roads and over the years heard or seen the same thing.Deer get hit while I'm on stand
Old 11-29-2004, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

If that was a "Test" of your ethics, I'd say you passed with flying colors, but I think you did it without a second thought. It was the right thing to do (ethically) and you did it without question.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:55 AM

Good job
Old 11-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing by putting the deer down. Is it legal to put your buck tag on it? just asking?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:19 AM

I think the point was that it was ONLY legal if he put his buck tag on it - he could've tried to be sneaky and put a doe tag on it, preserving his one buck tag. Of course, I don't know where he is or the laws there, but I think that's the point.

Your honesty and integrity will be repaid - thanks for not crossing the line.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

FL/GAHUNTER I wasn't trying to start anything. In ny & pa u have to use your doe tag on a button buck. Like I said before he did the right thing by putting it down.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go deadshot i think you made the best decesion there...probally what i would have done too.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: hunter60

FL/GAHUNTER I wasn't trying to start anything. In ny & pa u have to use your doe tag on a button buck. Like I said before he did the right thing by putting it down.
No worries - I wasn't typing with anger in my voice. I just thought I understood what he was talking about and was trying to interpret. I'm not sure what his definition of button buck is, though - everyplace I've hunted, the license says 'doe or antlerless,' and there has to be visible bone above the hairline before you use your buck tag. *shrug*
Old 11-29-2004, 02:23 PM

My hat is off to you sir, for it is folks like you who keep the world in balance. You are not a knucklebone who knocks everything others say or do, nor are you a jawbone who talks about what to do, nor are you a wishbone who wishes for things to be,... You sir are the backbone who bears the load the others can't and gets the job done! Sorry you burned a Buck tag but it will come back to you. Can't eat the horns anyway.

Quick Reply: ETHICS 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.