HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What happened to Young Bucks? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/80678-what-happened-young-bucks.html)

Grey Ghost 11-28-2004 03:17 PM

What happened to Young Bucks?

I've had my property now for six years. This year it seems that there is very few little bucks around. We took two 8-points, a nine point and a ten point that the DNR aged at 3 1/2 yrs. I'm not complaning, just wondering what happened to my young bucks? Could it have been that the number of bigger bucks that we are seeing, chased out the little bucks. Most of my land is thick, nasty creek bottom. What do you think?

shuler44 11-28-2004 03:27 PM

RE: What happened to Young Bucks?

i saw 10 little bucks on the first day i thought there were more then ever but some areas are just different sometimes.

Redneckin75 11-28-2004 03:30 PM

Well Lets see, you have killed a few big Bucks and have also seen Big Bucks. I would say smaller bucks are just chasing as many does as possible, so they dont hang out as much. Of course im no EXPERT but u wanted an opinon.

Also maybe the spot your hunting Just isnt where Little Bucks Stay.??
Also ANy body with more Questons E-mail me at [email protected] or im at rednecktarheel75

-Tater

hunter60 11-29-2004 10:26 AM

If the doe population is high they'll chase the little bucks off.

Deerslayer_37 11-29-2004 04:23 PM

i don think a high doe population has anything to do with it. i somewhat agree with redneckin. if you remove the dominant bucks in an area, the younger bucks will do alot more breeding. they could be running all over the countryside after does, and that could be why you're not seeing as many.

slayer

Grey Ghost 11-29-2004 06:00 PM

I do have too many does out there. I plan on taking some during muzzel loading season. But, I still normally see 4-5 basket racks to every bigger buck. This was the fist year I'll seen this. I have my hunting buddys now waiting for the larger bucks and it's starting to show. I am hunting Calhoun Co. Mi., if anyone cares. Thanks for the feedback.

JimboHunter1 11-29-2004 06:08 PM

If the doe population is high they'll chase the little bucks off.
Where did you learn this? Our doe population is high and we have PLENTY of little bucks. I've always read that with more does, some of the smaller, younger bucks do a little bit of the breeding because the dominant bucks get fatigued... Could you tell me where you learned this and why it supposedly happens?
Thanks.

Deerslayer_37 11-29-2004 08:02 PM

i disagree with that fact. i've never seen nor heard about it ever in the wild. as far as high doe population goes, i would expect you to be seeing more little bucks with more does because of there being more deer in general. that increaes the number of deer competing for food so the bucks dont get as much nutrition towards antler growth as they would if there were less deer.

slayer

BOWFANATIC 11-29-2004 11:17 PM

What hunter60 may be refering to is adult doe chasing off yearling bucks which happens all the time. As for the basket racked bucks , which are probably 1.5 years old , they have probably been run off by the more dominant bucks in your area , especially considering you've seen a few older bucks in your area.

hunter60 11-30-2004 07:37 AM

I am talking about the 1 1/2 year old bucks if the doe population is real high & food is scarce the older does will run young bucks off. I've seen it first hand & talked to a biologist about it. How big is your land your neighbors might be shooting alot of them. If the little 1s are running the does all over he should be seeing them.