Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold Toes???

Old 12-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cold Toes???

try this.

tape 2 handwarmers on your back where your kidneys are. they circulate 100% of your blood in like 2 minutes, or something like that. anyway, my feet are always sooooo cold i use liquid nitrogen to warm em up, and this seems to work good
Old 12-08-2004, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

Isn't wool supposed to insulate when wet? I don't know a lot about its thermal properties, but a hunter safety instructor told me that once.
Wool insulates BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE when it is wet. It still loses a lot of insulation value when wet. "Better than anything else" may still not be all that great.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wool insulates BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE when it is wet. It still loses a lot of insulation value when wet. "Better than anything else" may still not be all that great.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:08 PM

Saw this on archerytalk, http://www.bodywarmer.com. Dont forget arctic shield makes socks like their boot covers and they are warm. Good luck
Old 12-11-2004, 03:38 PM

If your hiking to a stand wear light shoes and socks.When your at your stand let your boots do their work.By that I mean wear non-cotton dress socks,I think that makes the thinsulite work better and keeps your feet warmer.I find that lacing boots too tight makes circulation slower and colder.If I hike alot I remove my boots or loosen them up letting the air get to my feet and I'm always warmer while sitting.
hope this helps,
lizzzard
Old 12-11-2004, 03:53 PM

Something I forgot.Take a piece of foam with you,closed cell foam the trade name is Evazote.It will not absorb the cold from the ground,and reflects the heat loss back to your feet.It is the material that army uses for under sleeping bags.Get a big piece,your feet, butt and back will thank you.
the lizzzard. ps if these six pages don't help bowling is a good winter sport.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:49 PM

i have not heard one thing about gore-tex, I wear a pair of REDWING boots with GORE-TEX about $160 when i bought them 5 yrs ago. i cannot praise these boots enough,
i snowblow,scout deer and deer hunt with them, they WICK AWAY the moisture so your feet are dry and warm- but at the same time waterproof from the outside.
my bro-in -law had been saying how great these boots worked- but he is a BSer anyway- then while we was huntin in 32degree weather and he stands in this mudpuddle up to his ankles for 1 whole min. 60 whole seconds ice broken to get to the puddle ---cold right-
-- and im thinking stupid move at 2 in the afternoon and a lot of standing left to do
- but when we went to leave he pulled off his boot and socks--DRY AS COULD BE!!!
--i bought mine 5 years ago and have never regretted it-i use them so much for ridin my harley in colder weather to keep my feet warm- that i am puttin new tread under em again - another nice thing about red wing boots - they can be repaired for years to come
-----------------------------------------------------------------
keep the attic warm the basement stays warm, grandma used ta say
-----------------------------------------------------[8D][8D]
----------------------
sorry jones 123 but wool is old school[]-thinsulate and gore-tex are what the marines use now
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw the socks you want -wantbuck- in the latest edition of cabelas along with gore-tex gloves and socks. and shoes and underwear. cabelas is located at NEBRASKA and other locations-good luck
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

A good flask of wiskey will fix all your problems.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with mrlizzard. Standing on frozen ground or a steel/aluminum stand is not the right thing to do. This is putting the cold right at the bottom of your feet, you have to have a barrier there if you're having issues with your feet. You have to stand on the foam. the company that makes the therma-seats makes a thinner mat that you can attach to you stand also, but I just usually stand on my seat. I also learned that I can stay warmer longer by standing, and not sitting. Wearing a double layer of thermal underwear is also better than wearing a single layer and a heavy shirt. The 2 thermal layers trap more air in your bodies core. And lastly, a wool or down vest will also help keep the core warmer, helping to keep the blood flowing to the feet.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

My toes got a little frosty this morning myself. 17 degrees.

I'm taking one of the 30% wool cheapo blankets from Sportsman Guide with me tomorrow to wrap around my feet. Everything else stayed warm.

Quick Reply: Cold Toes???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.