HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   News article 202 1/8 typical Ohio buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/80659-news-article-202-1-8-typical-ohio-buck.html)

teamster284 11-28-2004 10:35 AM

News article 202 1/8 typical Ohio buck

Sky’s the limit for recently felled buck
Pending drying-period wait, rack could top out in big way
Sunday, November 28, 2004
Dave Golowenski
FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Should the weather not turn disastrous, more than 100,000 Ohio deer large and small, antlered and smooth-pated will fall to a horde of hunters, most armed with guns, in the coming week.

None of those deer, whatever their bodily dimension, is likely to come as well-equipped as the one taken Nov. 8 by Brad Jerman in Warren County. Such a deer comes along once in a generation or so.

After seeing it the night before, Jerman, 39, of Springboro, a burg south of Dayton, killed the 10-pointer at first light with a crossbow at about 18 yards on private land. When he checked the 300-pound deer at a tagging station, Jerman was advised the antlers might be in a class by themselves.

Measured by Gary Trent, president of the Buckeye Big Buck Club and a Boone and Crockett Club scorer, the whitetail’s symmetrical rack unofficially scored 202 1/8 inches, surpassing a 201 1/8-inch Clark County buck taken in 1986 with a longbow by William D. Kontras of Springfield.

The world-record typical buck, felled in 1993 by British Columbian Milo Hanson, measures 213 5/8.

Until a year ago, the acclaimed world-record non-typical rack, which measures 304 6/8, was an Ohio specimen taken in Greene County with a longbow in 2000 by Mike Beatty of Xenia. Thus, the largest two typicals and the largest non-typical antlers taken by hunters in Ohio have come from adjacent southwestern Ohio counties.

After a 60-day drying period, Jerman’s antlers will be rescored for the record books. Expect that event in January.

KonaBoy 11-28-2004 11:19 AM

RE: News article 202 1/8 typical Ohio buck

ORIGINAL: teamster284
The world-record typical buck, felled in 1993 by British Columbian Milo Hanson, measures 213 5/8.
Wrong!
He shot it in Biggar, Saskatchewan

pocomoke 11-28-2004 05:05 PM

It says he (milo hanson) was from B.C. Not that the deer was killed there....

CanadianWrangler 11-28-2004 10:59 PM

He was or still is a Biggar Saskatchewan farmer. He may be living in BC now but he and the deer are both saskatchewan.

Hiawatha 11-28-2004 11:04 PM

Poco the internet isn't the most accurate source of information. don't believe everything you read.

Deerslayer_37 11-29-2004 03:59 PM

this article has all sorts of wrong facts: Milo Hansen is from and shot his buck in Biggar, Saskatchewan. Also, Mike Beatty did not shoot his buck with a long bow. Thats why he didn't enter the buck right away, is because his bow was 80% let off. It was a mathews bow. i read about it in mathews magazine or something like that.

still sounds like a nice buck.

slayer

Revival 12-18-2004 10:17 PM

The article had a few other things wrong, not just on the facts you mentioned, but also on the Jerman Buck. It did not weigh 300 lbs. I would say 250 or 260, it was killed on the 10th not the 8th. The original story in the Dayton Daily News got it wrong, and it has been haunting me since. I am Brad Jerman.

It is a magnificent buck though. Look for me on the Feb. cover of North American Whitetail with much more to come. After official scoring and regardless of the state record, which is in question at this point… (I am only sitting a few 8ths above with a few weeks to go before official scoring). I will be claiming that it is the “Largest Typical Whitetail Ever Taken With A Crossbow”.

You can find out more at http://jermanbuck.com. Please shoot me an email and let me know what you think of the site. It is new and I am dying for feedback.

Take care,
Brad
a.k.a. Revival

P.S. I will most likely not be checking back here soon... Just kinda busy, but wanted to try and correct a few issues.