Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How Long(Feild Dress)???

Old 11-27-2004, 10:09 PM

Default How Long(Feild Dress)???

I was wondering how long I have before I feild dress my deer?I don't yet know how to feild dress a deer and I heard you can ruin the meat if not done properly so I have someone to take it too thats going to teach me but i'd like to know what time I have.I'd like to swing by the house(5min outta the way 15min to the place to have it feild dressed) to show my family and get some pics but if I don't have enough time I can skip that.Where i'm hunting I can get my truck to and my cousin is hunting with me if I need help loading it so the extra weight is no prob.
Thanks fellas,
JE
Old 11-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Long(Feild Dress)???

your cousin doesn't know how to gut a deer either? you should take it to whoever to gut it first. You should watch and learn or better yet--you do it while the other guy instructs--the pictures will be just as good of a gutted deer---no matter what--this should be a one time only thing--afterwards you should always take care of your own animal--that is part of it-- unless you are allergic or something (I know one guy that is). good luck
hb
Old 11-27-2004, 10:46 PM

Believe me,i'd much rather just do it right their in the woods but I have know idea how.The guy i'm taking it to does deer processing and he said he'd dress it for me for $10 extra dollars.I'm going to see if he will instruct me and let me do it but I don't know this guy so I don't know.I've seen the pics and they do nothing for me.I've worked very hard for the deer I plan on taking and I don't want to risk ruining my meat.Would you guys suggest I try this on my own?
Me and my cousin are both new so he does'nt know either.I have a guy willing to show me but theirs rarely a weekend he's not in the woods himself so it would be hard to catch him.
Thanks
JE
Old 11-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure that this guy will let you do it while he helps. If he isn't there when you go by don't wait too long--find any other hunters and ask them to advise while you perform the procedure and I'm sure they'll be helpful and glad to do it. I sure hope that you get this critter that we're havin all this discussion about. good luck
hb
Old 11-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have to learn sometime,Just take a stab at it.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:23 AM

One question before I take a stab at it.I've heard different things from different people.Some told me that if I get the urine or crap on the meat it will ruin the meat.Another guy said it won't hurt a thing,just wash it out real good with water.If the second one is true i'll try it first by myself if not i'd rather not take a chance of ruining my first deer.
Thanks
JE
Old 11-28-2004, 04:59 AM

I learned by just doing it and I did get some crap on the meat along with urine but I washed it out as soon as the guts were out, wash it thoroughly and then dry as water causes bacteria to grow. You should be fine my deere was great tasting and wasnt ruined. Make sure to print or make a copy of the post from Edward A. Owens and youll be fine. Just jump in and do it thats the best way to learn. Good luck!!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:35 AM

It's very important to field dress as soon as possible. The reason is the heat. You've got to get it out! The heat is what ruins the meat.

As for learning the procedure, I was lucky enough to watch a video a few times before even going hunting for the first time. Then there was someone to to guide me as well. Buy a video. Best way to learn.

Personally, I didn't go deer hunting until I knew I could gut the deer. It's a part of the experience.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Not picking on you here but to me you got the cart before the horse. What do I mean? You needed to learn several very important things before you go hunting and one was how to take care of your deer after you shoot it. Not to do that is a total waste and poor hunting. The information was easy to find for you on the enternet
Here are some links
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/...fielddress.htm
http://www.huntingnut.com/faq/fieldd...ielddress.html
http://www.learn-taxidermy.com/field_dressing_deer.htm

Now is not the time to learn how to do it, that time was before you shot it.

four important things
If you dont know how learn or take someone who knows how to!
Do not cut the bladder
Do not spill the stomach contents
Clean, clean, clean and cool your deer asap

Rick

Quick Reply: How Long(Feild Dress)???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.