Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 who rightfully killed this deer >

who rightfully killed this deer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

who rightfully killed this deer

Old 11-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: who rightfully killed this deer

I wasn't there so I'll try to not post just based on what you've said. First the letter of the law. Around here it's whoever tags it first. Notice I didn't say anything about who shot it. If you pressed the issue I'm sure a LEO would say whoever put the first lethal hit.

Second there is the spirit of the law. The first guy that shot put a bad shot on it, sure. But once he hit it, it should probably be his especially among friends. I've got hunting partners that I've hunted with for years and never have we had a dispute. We decide who's deer it is before the first shell flys and that's who's deer it is. It shouldn't ever be open season to just riddle a deer with bullets and then try to work out who got it first. Based on that I would say the deer belongs to the first guys hands down. The second guy if he was a real friend I don't think would even dispute it. However if I was the first guy I would definitely offer some meat to the first guy.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that my dad would have kicked my arse for taking bad shots, even when I was a young lad. A bad shot is a bad shot. Hopefully they learned their lesson. I would say the first lethal shot is the guy who got the deer. I had a buck come by in my earlier years of hunting white-tails back east. I shot him and he dropped, I took him right behind the shoulder. I gutted him and put my tag on him. As I started to drag the deer back to the road a guy began to hollar at me. He said that he mortally wounded that buck and it was his. He said that he had been tracking it in the snow for over a mile and lost blood a while back. He knew that the deer was his. After looking the deer over we found that the deer had the end of a hoof blown off. Not the whole hoof but just one side. That was the ONLY mark on the deer other than where I shot it behind the shoulder. I told him he could have it only if he admitted that I took the deer down with a blow to the hoof. Needless to say, I got my buck. Also to add. If both of your friends approached the deer and they were standing together. Then shame on the other guy who shot and is trying to claim it. It should have easily been handled by the guy who stopped the deer.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

My one friend shot the deer first and broke one leg about off with just a little meat hanging and the bullet also tore the other leg up pretty good. Well it was down but they ran up there and it got up...well the same friend shot it again right below the spine and told the other one not to shoot because it was about to go down from those but he shot and it got it in the but from the side and it still went and fell over. i think the one that shot it first should get all credit since he put the shot on him that took him down and the chest shot and he was about to go down.
I agree with you. The second guy had no right to shoot the deer unless he was purposely trying to steal the deer out from his so called friend. If The third guy in your party (the one who ruined the hams) gets the deer then I would congradulate him and wish him luck with his new hunting partners, cause I would never go with him again. Good Luck and maybe cut that guy loose.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:17 PM

The guy that atempted to shoot it first get's the carcus!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:07 PM

why should he get it if he didn't KILL the deer outlaw? Spell check too there buddy...

slayer
Old 11-29-2004, 08:52 PM

Im enraged IF YOU A PERSON IS MAKING A SHOT MAKE A CLEAN KILL IN RESPECT OF THE ANIMAL!!![:@]
Old 11-29-2004, 09:21 PM

Guys...some people keep saying "you should have" comments but what you're missing is that this guy did NOT shoot, his buddies did...saying things like "YOU BOYS" is inaccurate becuase he says he didn't shoot. This doesn't mean that shooting up a deer is an alright thing...the story is a cringing story that I personally would keep to myself, but it is not this guy's shooting story...it is about his buddies, so answer his question and don't insult him for what his buddies did. With that I would say the deer belongs to the guy who put the deer on the ground, but they might as well split the meat. If they want to fight over the rack then I would say it belongs to the guy who put it on the ground with a vital shot.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:20 PM

Geez, I wonder why buckshot was invented! Go sight in your guns.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Outlaw43

The guy that atempted to shoot it first get's the carcus!!!!!!!!!!!

are you serious???? so I can take a shot at a deer and miss completely, then track for a quarter mile and find where another hunter shot it thru the vitals and then claim it??? or shoot and antler off and go claim it, or the tail, or a leg, or.......... get a grip. It is the first fatal shot. Common sense. What is so hard to understand about that.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:38 AM

The one that killed the deer (the last person to shoot).

Person A shoots a deer. It limps over to my stand... I shoot it in the heart. It dies. Its mine.

Quick Reply: who rightfully killed this deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.